Anti Doping

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Anti Doping

Postby Winston » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:37 am

With the "Tour de Farce" giving sport more to be ashamed of, I was wondering. Are we exempt from "Regulation 21"? http://www.sailing.org/rrs2005/regulation_21_2007.pdf

Winston Mathews
Winston

Postby Rick West » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:43 am

WINSTON !!!!
BE QUIET !!!!

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby MichaelJ2K » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:47 am

No matter what the sport or activity is, drugs or alcohol affect the decision making process. I don't think I would want to be sailing either in a regatta or at the model airplane field with someone who may be or is impaired. At most public parks where there is organized sailing, ban drugs and alcohol as part of their policy I would also say that maybe 99.9% of the RC clubs in this country ban the use of drugs and alcohol at the flying field.

I can understand making a tactical error or mistake due to poor judgement but alcohol and drugs should not be the reason.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:19 pm

First off, Reichard Kahle sails better after he has had a few of his special cokes. So maybe we do need to enforce a no alcohol rule at the pond, just so we have a chance of catching him.[}:)]

Second, I think Winston is referring to blood doping which is to enhance the oxygen levels in the blood, thereby increasing stamina and physical performance. If we need to go to the lengths and expense of blood doping in order to help us walk a 100 feet down the shore, we have probably had one too many doughnuts for breakfast.[:p]

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby IanHB » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:15 pm

I would respectfully suggest that many of the "Old Farts" such as myself are on drugs just so we can get safely through the day. I am not too bad but some are not so fortunate.

Lowering cholesterol, regulating blood pressure, insulin, eye drops, nose drops, cough drops, arthritis, skin conditions, beta blockers, things to tighten you up or loosen you. The list goes on.
Getting old is not a lot of fun for many, the fellowship and adrenalin rush of a good yacht race is still the best drug and the most fun you can have. ( These days either with your pants on or off.)

DO IT NOW, Before it`s to late
IanHB

Postby yachtie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:43 pm

I would suggest that as in any sport we all have enough "dopes" without needing to add "dope" to the mix [;)][;)][;)][:D]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:41 pm

I agree Chris,

Many times I have found myself feeling like a "Dope" and this is WITHOUT any mood altering substances. I can only imagine what feats of dopiness I could accoplish if I was also doping.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby PegLeg » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:07 pm

Winston

If one takes the time to read the regulation, one finds that indeed, the regulation does apply at national, international and olympic events.

Enforcement of the regulation is of course a whole different story. Given that testing is the responsibility of the national authority (US Sailing), it is highly unlikely that the regulation will be enforced at any of our radio controlled events.

As a matter of interest, alcohol (booze in any form) is not prohibited for the sport of sailing.

The rationale for the anti doping policy is, in my opinion, worthy of inclusion as a preamble to the class website. Perhaps Rick will consider such a statement be added. It is quoted as follows:

<b><font color="blue"><i>The spirit of sport is the celebration of the human spirit, body and mind, and is characterized by the following values:
- Ethics, fair play and honesty
- Health
- Excellence in performance
- Character and education
- Fun and joy
- Teamwork
- Dedication and commitment
- Respect for rules and laws
- Respect for self and other participants
- Courage
- Community and solidarity</i></font id="blue"></b>
Pete
PegLeg

Postby yachtie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:37 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">alcohol (booze in any form) is not prohibited for the sport of sailing <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hallelujah <font color="blue"></font id="blue"> - now where did I put my beer[?]<font size="6"></font id="size6">[;)][:p]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby PegLeg » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:54 pm

Chris

It did not say it was smart, just not prohibited. I sure don't want to sail next to either an active or hungover juice head.

Also interesting, is that insulin is one of the banned substances. However; with medical proof of need, this can be waived on an individual basis.

Probably more information than anyone wanted or needed.

Pete
PegLeg

Return to Sailing with the RRS