"Room at the Mark!!!"

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby EC1210 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:32 am

Sorry to return to this, but maybe because it was late last night when I read it, But want it to be clear and maybe I'm just missiing something or have another picture in my mind as to the rounding.
Time and time again, I'll see a skipper come into the windward mark and just miss it, sail inside it. Then when the mark Judge calls out "yellow or blue boat, you missed the mark" they track back into the fleet that was on the layline and Starboard, many times hitting them or forcing them to tack away to avoid. When I questioned this action at a recent Florida Regatta, just so I know. I was as told by someone "who is in the know" is the way it is, or Bullied into it was ok. But this isn't the way I learn the rules to sail better the next time,I want to do it right and play by the rules. I've seen it happen time and time again at two more Fla regattas.
Being a "stink-potter in my real/other life". I pulled out the rule book and found 18.3 (a) Tacking at the mark, wouldn't this apply?
Earl have a good day, sail fast and clean.
EC1210

Postby MichaelJ2K » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:40 pm

A boat that misses the mark has no rights and must remain clear until there is room to make a proper rounding. At least that's how I understand it.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby Winston » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:07 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OqJCn9Edzc&NR=1

I guess we won't have any problems with this situation in the future.
Winston

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:08 am

Excellent video example Winston. Thanks for finding it.

Mike Denest, you are way off on your understanding of missing a mark. A boat that missed a mark, has broken no rule except that he has not sailed the course properly. He has lost no rights because he missed the mark. When he turns around to round the mark properly, he is subject to the rules and has all the rights of way or must give way as any other boat on the course depending on what tack he is on.

So if he missed the mark while on Starboard and bears away, gybes and comes back to the mark on Port tack, YES, he needs to give way to the other boats on Starboard. BUT, if he missed the mark and managed to get around and come back on Starboard tack, he has lost no rights at all.

Missing the mark is simply missing the mark. The only thing he loses is time in having to get back around it.

The reason everyone starts yelling "You Can't Do That" is the guy who misses a mark USUALLY is coming back to reround it on Port. The Starboard tack guys are not yelling at him because he has no rights after missing the mark. They are yelling because he is on Port and about to hit them.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:28 am

Joe,
There is that issue you mention but mostly the yelling is to a boat that is heading inside of a boat clear ahead at the rounding of a mark.

A boat clear astern has no right to do this and is a different part of the 18 rule. This is another issue hot on the list of "irksome." Some times you can and sometimes you can't.

Thanks, Winston for a good find. I have bookmarked this and will search if further for schooling video.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:50 am

Yes Rick, I have already been wrist slapped bay a member of my club for not fully explaining the rule. I was not trying to explain all of 18 and its parts. Just trying to make sure that folks don't think they lost all rights because the missed the mark.

I encourage all to read RRS 18 again. Dave Perry's book is a great buy and will help everyone understand the rules better. Plus sites like the one Winston just posted and this one http://game.finckh.net/indexe.htm will also help.

Learn the rules before you enter a regatta. You don't have to have them all memorized, but a basic understanding of Sections A, B C are important.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby EC1210 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:20 pm

Joe,
is anyone looking at 18.3 or am I the only one that can't get this right? Please help me with this before the next regatta.
EC1210

Postby bodacious » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:49 am

This is a problem at every regatta we have! Reichard has the rule interpreted properly! The answer is "If you are the starboard boat and someone jams you at the mark..luff just a tad and call the penalty" It's the same with the guys who don't make the mark on starboard and then "scull" their way around the mark. They are no longer on starboard tack...but they jam everybody up at the mark while luffing. frustrating ...to say the least!!
bodacious

Postby PegLeg » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:52 am

Doug

You are correct in that "sculling is not permitted. See RRS 42.1.

However; a boat remains on whatever tack she is on until the boom crosses to the other side. This actually allows a boat on Starboard to "shoot the mark" (or coast) with sails luffing (but with the boom not crossing the centerline)to pass a mark and keep her inside rights.

One other misconception in this thread is the notion that a boat that misses a mark loses all rights. This is simply an "old wives tale". There is no current rule that strips a boat of her rights for missing a mark. However; RRS 22.2 is in the book to discourage deliberate interference with a boat on a different leg such as one that has rounded the mark that was missed.

Pete
PegLeg

Previous

Return to Sailing with the RRS