Starting time 2 vs 1

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Starting time 2 vs 1

Postby PaulP » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:05 pm

Out of curiousity, why did the starting sequence change from one minute to two minutes?

In most r/c sailboat regattas, the two minutes seems excessive.

???

Paul P [?]
PaulP

Postby Rick West » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:15 pm

I think it is the thought in large multiple fleet regattas that notice is made the clock is running for the new heat in quickly staging heats. Then there is time for those dillying to release the boat before the one-signal.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Rick West » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:04 pm

More: Uncle Frank seems to think that the 2-minute tape came from the Canadians along with much of appendex E. The tape was used so that as the last boat finished a heat the tape was started for the next. We, of course do not use it that way and hence, in some cases becomes a pain in having to dodge boats for a minute and a half.

However, the general practice of waiting for all to be in the starting area to start the clock has lead some to not be timely. The clock (one-minute)here at Elon this weekend was started with warning before all were in the area to hussle people up. It worked when some were late and soon all were in the blocks before the starter was ready...cool.

My feeling with a lot of two-day multiple fleet events observed that an RD could announce that the clock will start in five-minutes at the call for the next heat and start a 2-minute tape accordingly. If you are a true competitor you will pay attention and we will get more quality racing in.

It is also interesting for one that travels that it is the same people that are late time and again, not just at one regatta but others on the schedule, as well.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:25 am

Most of the regattas I have sailed in since I started R/C sailing in 2000 have all used the one-minute tape. When Dave Brawner was RD, he used the two-minute tape. At first I thought it was a waste of time sailing around waiting for it to click down, but I now think it is much better.

When the one-minute tape is used, the RD starts warning everyone that the tape will start. Sometimes he even says, he will start the tape in one minute. Many skippers will lag about and even ask for a second here and a second there. So the tape gets started after a minute and a half or more. Wasting more time than if the tw0-minute tape was used.

By using the two-minute tape, you tell everyone to put their boats in the water, give a quick look around to make sure everyone is in and near the line and you start the tape. Once that two-minute clock is running, there is no doubt about how much time a guy has to tweak his boat. Plus, it gives everyone a chance to make a timed run to the line a few times and get a good idea of where they want to be at a particular time.

I like to make a few timed runs to the line and then turn back and work my way through the fleet and try to be at that spot I wanted at 10, 15, or maybe 20 seconds form the bell.

With the one-minute tape, you might have one chance to make a timed run, but no more.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby yachtie » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:13 pm

Using the 2 min start down under as we do seems to me to have a couple of advantages already covered above by Captn Flak. It also assists the RD to enforce that no boat is slipped into the water after the 1 min warning to race to the line for the "perfect" start without having any pre race "jousting" in the fleet and the possible chance of entanglement.

My thought is that given everything is scaled down from "real" the 2 min to me equates to the 10 min of "big" boats.

2 mins gives one time to work out where they want to be at maybe 30 and 15 secs without rushing out to line area with seconds to spare and being unprepared as happens with 1 min.

My 3.17 cents worth (current US 2 cents to NZD[:D])

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Return to Sailing with the RRS