Did you tack too soon?

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Did you tack too soon?

Postby skip241 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:55 pm

I understand that the leeward boat has right away when two boats are sailing side by side. If two boats are sailing on a port tack and the leeward boat is about two feet to leeward and about a foot ahead of the windward boat, can the leeward boat tack to starboard without any notice to the windward boat resulting in a port starboard situation with no opportunity for the port tack boat to get out of the way? Thanks. Skip
skip241

Postby yachtie » Sun May 21, 2006 1:11 am

Leeward boat always has ROW on same tack - RRS 11 - When boats are on the same tack and overlapped, a windward boat shall keep clear of a leeward boat.
The leeward boat cannot just tack though and create an incident. - see RRS 13 - After a boat passes head to wind, she shall keep clear of other boats until she is on a close hauled course. During that time rules 10, 11, and 12 do not apply.

So in the scenario suggested the leeward boat would need to wait for the windward boat to tack first.

Further to this is RRS 15 (bit in brackets added for clarity to this situation) - Acquiring Right of Way. When a boat acquires right of way, (i.e the tack to stbd)she shall initially give the other boat room to keep clear, unless she acquires right of because of the other boats actions.

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby Rick West » Sun May 21, 2006 1:03 pm

Nicely presented, Chris.
Skip the simplicity in my mind at all times is who is in control and if not how can I get into control. Being clear ahead in the situation you describe is not enough. Even if your sails fill seconds before a collision is possible, you lose the protest and the heat.

If a windward boat is getting tactical to hold you off like at the port mark of the finsh line, you will have to suck it up and loose a position in the finish.

Thinking ahead in such a port tack I will gain control by slowing slightly to tack behind the windward boat and take my chances of beating her at the next tack. The longer I wait to do this the less likely I will finish ahead of her.

Remember to in the situation that 18.3 allows you to call for tacking room for an obstruction.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Sailing with the RRS