Launching right before the start and pushing the boat

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Launching right before the start and pushing the boat

Postby rs vernon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:32 am

I am thinking that the previous version of the rules (E4.3 which modified rule 45) told us that we could not release the boat during the time between one minute to the start and the start. We had to either launch or relaunch the boat before 1 minute to go before the start or hold the boat until the bell and then we could release it, but we could not give it a push, due to rule 42 and E4.3 (Propulsion) within 1 minute to go before the start. We could, however, give the boat a push any time before the one minute signal.

Now (through 2020) we can launch or relaunch the boat any time we want. Rule 45 is omitted by Rule E4.1. But I figure rule 42 and some other rule still tells us that we cannot give the boat a push inside of one minute to go before the start. I cannot find the rule that tells us that we are considered to be racing at one minute to go before the start.

I am not sure that everyone is on the same page with these rules. I hope I am somewhat correct in my perception of the past and current rules.

Scott
rs vernon

Re: Launching right before the start and pushing the boat

Postby bigfoot55 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 am

Definition of RACING

Racing
A boat is racing from her preparatory signal until she finishes and clears the finishing line and marks or retires, or until the race committee
signals a general recall, postponement or abandonment.

So usually we use a one min or two min tape. which gives the Preparatory signal. So no push after the starting tape gives 'from mark' I think.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Re: Launching right before the start and pushing the boat

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 pm

42 PROPULSION
42.1 Basic Rule
Except when permitted in rule 42.3 or 45, a boat shall compete by using only the wind and water to increase, maintain or decrease her speed. Her crew may adjust the trim of sails and hull, and perform other acts of seamanship, but shall not otherwise move their bodies to propel the boat.

This means you cannot push your boat once the preparatory signal (one-minute to mark) has sounded.

You can however, touch your boat all you want now. You just need to let it go with no pushing. You also cannot push your boat at any time during the race. So if you had to bring it ashore to fix something, you can aim it back out, but you cannot push it forward. I don't think anyone will care too much if you pushed it backwards to get it free of the bottom.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Return to Sailing with the RRS