Starting line situations and the rules at Raleigh 2017

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Starting line situations and the rules at Raleigh 2017

Postby rs vernon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:59 am

There was some discussion about who can legally do what to whom at the 2017 Raleigh Regatta.

What I meant to write was what are the various situations and applicable rules at the starting line, especially right before the bell.

Scott
Last edited by rs vernon on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rs vernon

Re: Starting line situations and the rules at Raleigh 2017

Postby gcobley » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:58 pm

One change.
I believe there is no "proper course" before the start, so rule 17 does not apply. I am not sure if that is in place until the gun, or until you cross the line (academic point maybe?)
Gerry
gcobley
Site Admin

Postby Fred Maurer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:46 am

The rule states in the definitions section of the Rules,
Proper Course
A course a boat would sail to finish as soon as possible in the absence of the other boats referred to in the rule using the term. A boat has no proper course before her starting signal. (That would seem to be as opposed to "Starting")

Start
A boat starts when, having been entirely on the pre-start side of the starting line at or after her starting signal, and having complied with rule 30.1 if it applies, any part of her hull, crew or equipment crosses the starting line in the direction of the first mark.

The key is the starting "signal". My two cents anyway. :)
Fred Maurer

Postby tag1945 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:26 pm

gcobley wrote:Re: Starting line situations and the rules at Raleigh 2017

Post by gcobley » 28 Jun 2017 15:58
One change.
I believe there is no "proper course" before the start, so rule 17 does not apply. I am not sure if that is in place until the gun, or until you cross the line (academic point maybe?)

Fred Maurer wrote:The rule states in the definitions section of the Rules,
Proper Course
A course a boat would sail to finish as soon as possible in the absence of the other boats referred to in the rule using the term. A boat has no proper course before her starting signal. (That would seem to be as opposed to "Starting")

Start
A boat starts when, having been entirely on the pre-start side of the starting line at or after her starting signal, and having complied with rule 30.1 if it applies, any part of her hull, crew or equipment crosses the starting line in the direction of the first mark.

The key is the starting "signal". My two cents anyway. :)

Fred

Only Section C rules are turned off prior to starting. Rule 17 is in Section B and can and does applies at the STARTING SIGNAL during your last run to the start line to start.
At that time, you do have a proper course.
Tom Germer
AMYA #6571
tag1945

Postby Fred Maurer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:18 am

Hi Tom,

I think we are on the same page. In my post of the rule, "Signal" was in bold for clarity. And in my last two cents, signal, in quotes . You did a much better job of illuminating the difference between sailing to start and starting than I did. It would seem a technical writer, I am not.
Fred Maurer

Return to Sailing with the RRS