penalty turns - 2 turns max or no max limit

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

penalty turns - 2 turns max or no max limit

Postby rs vernon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:41 pm

The current wording and meaning of the rule. The top/pinned thread in this RRS section deals with the meaning of this rule. The meaning is that the boat that fouls must keep doing penalty turns until she is no longer ahead of the boat she fouled and also not ahead of boats that would be ahead of her if she had not committed the foul.

Why the rule was created and why it should be applied by us as is.

I think the creators of the rule might be of the opinion that RC boat racers are more likely to be willing to hit other boats than are big boat racers, or might have a difficult time with proximity judgment. I am sure they feel that in the case of a tactical foul or a lapse of judgment (or even an honest mistake) a boat should be held accountable to this rule as written - not 2 turns max and be on your way.

A tactical foul: I watched the wheels turn in the head of a well respected (I believe) racer several years ago at a regatta. At that time we as a class believed that the wording of the rule meant 2 penalty turns maximum. We later found out that this is not true.

He was on port tack approaching a line of about 8 boats strung out on the starboard layline. He made the decision to hit and push the lead starboard tack boat up out of his way and to then round the mark near the lead in the race. He did 2 quick penalty turns and ended up about 6 boats ahead of his position if he not fouled and had gone to the end of the starboard tack line of boats.

There are other incidents that I could include, but enough a'ready.

I only race once or twice a year in the land of 2 turns max, so I have no real experience with how it is working out, but it bothers me that this rule would be "simplified" and de-fanged in the SI's. Also I am hoping that there will be no change to the rule at the NCR.

Hopefully now I will find something better to do than post on this forum. After the Raleigh regatta there were some people who did not understand the rule and thought the wording of the rule meant 2 turns max. Sadly it made me think and post.

Serial poster Scott
rs vernon

Return to Sailing with the RRS