hitting finish line mark - clearing the line

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

hitting finish line mark - clearing the line

Postby rs vernon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:32 am

There is a discussion on a Yahoo group that I belong to with someone saying that they were called for a foul (hitting the finish line buoy) by the finish line judge after they finished and were "exiting the area".
The rule says you must clear the line before hitting a buoy or fouling another competitor because you are still racing even tho your number was called as having finished.
I did not understand the definition of when a boat is "clear of the line" and therefore is no longer racing. I think this shows and tells it, except that the blue line representing the finish line should have been drawn on the course side of the finish buoys instead of the middle. I asked for clarification in my original post.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Iqo_w ... 22&f=false

Scott
rs vernon

Re: hitting finish line mark - clearing the line

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:52 pm

That example is correct. You are still sailing until you have cleared the line. So if you touch the mark as you cross the line, you were still racing since you did not clear the line. But if you clear the line and then drift backwards into the mark, you should not be penalized for that since you were done racing. However, you might be in trouble if you are drifting back into the race course while other boats are trying to finish.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Re: hitting finish line mark - clearing the line

Postby tag1945 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:09 am

Some more information on this topic:

Here is some good information for when a boat has finished and interfered with a boat still racing...

Part 2 (Preamble)
The rules of Part 2 apply between boats that are sailing in or near the racing area and intend to race, are racing, or have been racing. However, a boat not racing shall not be penalized for breaking one of these rules, except rule 24.1.

Rule 24 (Interfering with another boat)
24.1 If reasonably possible, a boat not racing shall not interfere with a boat that is racing.

Sample Sailing Instruction:
SI xx.x When the race committee sees a boat breaking rule 24.1 it may, without a
hearing, [disqualify her from her nearest race] [penalize her in her nearest race with a
xx% scoring penalty calculated as stated in rule 44.3(c)], notifying her in the race
results

Most of our Regattas have a point penalty for breaking Rule 24.1. If the breach of Rule 24.1 is serious enough, the
Protest Committee can award a more severe penalty.

CASE 90 and CASE 106 will answer more questions about applying Rule 24.1 and Rule 28.1 at the finish line....
Tom Germer
AMYA #6571
tag1945

Return to Sailing with the RRS