outside assistance

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

outside assistance

Postby s vernon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:47 pm

I feel I do not need to leave this info on the discussion group forever. I apereciate the inputs from Joe and Tom.
Last edited by s vernon on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
s vernon

Re: outside assistance

Postby bigfoot55 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:54 am

Sounds like one of the boats committed a rule infraction, resulting in the other becoming disabled by 'entanglement'.
So there should have been a protest, a withdrawal by the offender and request for redress?
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Re: outside assistance

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:35 am

I am confused by the SI. They changed E4.2(b) to say you CAN get outside help, BUT then said if you do, it is a DNF.

Not sure I agree with that.

The new Appendix E rules for Outside help seem to me to be designed to deal with issues that a lot other classes may have been seeing, especially in Europe. I do not feel the EC12 Class has ever had an issue with people helping you get your boat untangled, so long as it is not pushed.

In this case, it was the own skippers of the boats involved that freed them. Seems to me that that did not violate the original rule E4.2(b), so why the SI change?

My personal feeling on this new rule is it goes a little too far. This is a social hobby first and then a competitive sport second. When we get entangled, we should be able to get untangled without fear of being disqualified. Of course the guy who caused the tangle should withdraw and the boat that was the right of way might be looking for redress.

....BUT WAIT, they changed that rule too!
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Return to Sailing with the RRS