Redress under the new rules 2013-2016

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Redress under the new rules 2013-2016

Postby s vernon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:58 am

To me, here are the pertinent rules that apply to an EC-12 where the skipper can/should be given redress.

62 REDRESS
62.1 A request for redress or a protest committee’s decision to consider redress shall be based on a claim or possibility that a boat’s score in a race or series has been or may be, through no fault of her own, made significantly worse by
(b) injury or physical damage because of the action of a boat that was breaking a rule of Part 2 or of a vessel not racing that was required to keep clear;

E6.6 Redress
Add to rule 62.1:
(f) becoming disabled and as a result retiring because of the action of a boat that was breaking a rule of Part 2 or of a vessel not racing that was required to keep clear.

My point is that it sounds like you do not need to retire in order to be granted redress.
Scott
s vernon

Re: Redress under the new rules 2013-2016

Postby greerdr » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:13 pm

I agree.
Leave this decision to the R.D.
I really respect Mr.Means very impressive credentials; but have never seen him sail a RC boat.
I submit this is an important point.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Re: Redress under the new rules 2013-2016

Postby Rick West » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 pm

While I agree that redress and not retiring is possible in the wording, to me it seems simple. Retire and check you boat. I do not see the benefit of continuing to sail. However, having said this in 2011, we said that redress where serious hurt came upon you needed to be decided quickly by the race officers.

Sailing Instructions can address this matter. When you have an egregious port tack short and near the windward mark into a line of starboard boats fetching the mark, pain needs to be inflicted by retiring the offender . You do not need to have a committee meeting and race officers should be monitoring all these roundings. This is sensible thought in the spirit of the Rules.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Return to Sailing with the RRS