A look at the new RRS for 2013 - 2016

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

A look at the new RRS for 2013 - 2016

Postby tag1945 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:55 am

The link below is for a pdf file prepared by Dick Rose, Chairman, Racing Rules Working Party. This pdf file is a Study Guide of the new changes to the RRS for 2013 - 2016 and the rational for the changes. Excellent reading! Pay particular attention to the new definition of Mark-Room! Appendix E has many changes and I highly recommend that you become familiar with it.

The new rules take effect on January 1, 2013 and everyone needs to be aware of the changes. I will continue to answer your questions about the new rules and I will apply only the new rules to all situations that you describe in your questions.

https://home.comcast.net/~tagermer/New%20RRS/RRS20132016StudyVersion.pdf
Tom Germer
AMYA #6571
tag1945

Re: A look at the new RRS for 2013 - 2016

Postby s vernon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:27 am

Lester Gilbert points out the many changes that affect us and the weirdness of a lot of them. Luckily he also gives a lengthy list of beneficial exceptions to the rules, (in his opinon) to be written into regatta sailing instructions. Some of the rules revsions are odd, like the new strict sail numbers rule and the confusing proper hailing of those numbers for on course side at starts.

Here is link:
http://www.onemetre.net/ where you will see more links...

Site news & other interest

September 2012: The new Racing Rules of Sailing have been released, and these are my comments on RRS 2013-2016 Appendix E changes for radio sailing. I also provide some suggestions for RRS 2013-2016 additional Sailing Instructions as a result of the App.E changes.

September 2012: I've also been reflecting on the RRS Philosophy.

This Web site content is to be attributed to Lester Gilbert.
Scott
s vernon

Return to Sailing with the RRS