Tacking to close

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: Tacking to close

Postby greerdr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 pm

I was thinking of the S!M group that sail in VERY heavy winds in their pond.
They have modified the boat in many ways-way outside the rules-to have fun.
I do get your point about how complex the rules have become.
I have sailed for over 50 years(only 7-8 in RC) and have found the rules have become very nuanced.
I enjoy the banter that Marc and I have with Tom as Referee,and hope you can too.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Columbia » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:16 pm

It's good with me. I like to share ideas and I enjoyed your back and forth with Marc. This site is terrific for trading ideas. But really when the rule book is bigger than the Constitution of the country you got to start thinking twice. At least I did. I do hope to meet you in the water someday then I can really do battle with you.

Happy sailing
Joe
Columbia

Postby greerdr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:39 pm

I am looking forward to sailing with you.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby marcsmith » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:54 pm

greerdr wrote:I enjoy the banter that Marc and I have with Tom as Referee,and hope you can too.

we'll see how much banter we enjoy tomorrow , sat and sunday. :) should get a fair amount of races in...with only one fleet...

cabin 7 right???
2081 EC12, 1575 EC12 Both For Sale
81 Victoria
181 RG65
1981 Soling 1 Meter
681 IOM under construction
marcsmith

Postby Fred Maurer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:38 pm

Competitive sailing is and should be a fun sport. Chess without all the rules would just be checkers. It is the correct understanding and use of the rules that takes competitive sailing from checkers, to chess on the water. The implementation of the rules makes the endeavor far more interesting. The real problem is not so much the complexity of the rules but the sometime aggressive, obstinate, and not always correct pronouncement of the rules during a race. This is really where, as a group we can improve.

Now and then we need to remind ourselves (and perhaps those around us) that we are grown men playing with toy boats. Within our five foot hulls no one is about to die. We are most fortunate to have this forum in which to ask questions and discus answers. We are even more fortunate to have several extremely knowledgeable folks that are also gifted with the ability to explain things simply and with clarity. Consider this; there is an expenditure of effort on the part of these individuals from which we all benefit. They do it without compensation save for the satisfaction of helping others. I for one am grateful for both the rules that regulate our game, and the explanations found on these pages. So…. Many thanks.
Fred Maurer

Postby greerdr » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:11 am

Well said Fred.
Thanks.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Columbia » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:28 am

Fred, I never suggested eliminating rules. I merely put out there the thought of simplifying them. By the way I play chess and I fail to see the comparison. In all my years I never had to pull out a rule book and draw diagrams while playing the game. :D
People, promise me to Slap me silly if I ever make a suggestion on any racing rules.
Joe
Columbia

Postby marcsmith » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:01 am

with sailing

there are so many different variables. Hence the reason for line art...:)

Would it not be nice if it were as simple as Starbord over port, leeward over windward...
2081 EC12, 1575 EC12 Both For Sale
81 Victoria
181 RG65
1981 Soling 1 Meter
681 IOM under construction
marcsmith

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:13 am

Joe and all,

The rules are pretty simple. There are 5 basic rules to racing sailboats. The first and most import one is Sportsmanship. We must at all times sail fair, sail clean and do our turns or withdraw when we screw up. The next four are about as easy as they come. (10) Starboard has right of way over Port. (11) Leeward has right of way over Windward. (12) Clear Ahead has right of way over Clear Behind. And (13), you have no right of way while tacking.

Yes, I know, I did not use the complete wording in the rule book. The point is the rules are very easy to understand. All the other rules modify these basic rules when we are approaching and passing marks and obstructions or when we are acquiring the right of way. It is not important to memorize the fine detail of the other rules in order to sail clean and fair. If you are unsure, the best option is to avoid the situation and sail some extra distance. The rules of Part B and Part C are designed to get us past the marks and obstructions as safely and as cleanly as possible when we use them correctly.

If you get there first, the other guy needs to give you room. If you get there together, give each other room. If you get there last, stay the hell out of the way. Yes you can really get into the details and show where I am not stating this correctly and there are other factors that apply, but this is basically what the rules are saying.

My point is the rules work and when properly applied (meaning used correctly to your advantage and agreed to correctly when you are in the wrong) we all win. Yes, there are going to be times (lots of them) when there is a dispute over what just happened and who should do a turn. That is where the protest room comes in and we all learn from it. It should not be looked upon as a horrible place to be avoided. But if we all do our part to sail fair, talk to each other as we get close so we understand what the other guy intends to do or to wake him up before he smacks into you, things will go a lot smoother and our time on the water will be more enjoyable.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Previous

Return to Sailing with the RRS