Tactical vs. Seaman like rounding

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Tactical vs. Seaman like rounding

Postby Jon Luscomb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Can some one help me with this? When can one use or not use either rounding. :shock:

Thanks
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Re: Tactical vs. Seaman like rounding

Postby Columbia » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:39 pm

Is this a trick question? I'm sorry but what comes to my mind is rounding legally without fouling. I must of missed something here.
Joe
Columbia

Postby tag1945 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Seaman Like Rounding - The definition of Mark-Room and the definition of "Proper Course" take care of this.
A non Right of Way boat entitled to Mark-Room can only sail to the Mark and then her proper course around the mark. The course she sails around the mark might look like a tactical rounding to block another boat, but she must be allowed enough room, while at the mark, to clear the mark in the conditions present at the time. Since the new RRS do not use the term "Seaman like Rounding" The term Mark-Room and Proper course definitions take care of this. To apply these 2 definitions to a boat at a mark rounding, the Keep Clear boat entitled to Mark-Room must be provided room to sail "to the Mark". This does not allow the boat to sail wide, as that is not "to the mark". Once the boat is at the Mark, her entitlement is only to sail her Proper course around the mark. It does not provide extra room to sail wide to the mark while approaching the mark. It also does not require the boat entitled to Mark-Room to sail her Proper Course while at the mark, but if she does not, Section A rules still apply.

Here are a couple of Cases that are good examples of Mark-Room and “sailing to the mark”, and sailing your “proper course while at the mark”

http://game.finckh.net/reg_gbr/cases/case70.htm

http://game.finckh.net/reg_gbr/cases/case21.htm

Room
The space a boat needs in the existing conditions while maneuvering promptly in a seaman-like way.

Proper Course
A course a boat would sail to finish as soon as possible in the absence of the other boats referred to in the rule using the term. A boat has no proper course before her starting signal.

Mark-Room
Room for a boat to sail to the mark, and then room to sail her
proper course while at the mark. However, mark-room does not include room to tack unless the boat is overlapped to windward and on the inside of the boat required to give mark-room.

Tactical Rounding - When the boat has the Right of Way and does not have any limitations from Section B or C of Part 2 Rules, she may make a tactical rounding.
Tom Germer
AMYA #6571
tag1945

Postby greerdr » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:02 pm

I am often confronted with a boat that has more rudder throw(the ability to turn faster) than I.If I have rights(inside and overlapped by an outside boat)I can't be compelled to turn faster than my rudder allows.This COULD be construed as a "tactical' rounding Vs "seaman-like".I don't like boats getting inside either;and they usually should not if they obeyed the 4 boat length circle.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Jon Luscomb » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Tim:

This does help...alot. Proper course maakes sense in this case. THANK YOU. :mrgreen:
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Postby marcsmith » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 pm

RC

you make a good point. is it seaman-like to throw the rudder hard over slow the boat way down so the boat behind slams into you. or is it seaman-like to make a nice graceful and fast mark rounding that may only have you using 50% of the available rudder throw...

if you compare it to auto racing, the mark would be the apex of the turn... so do you start narrow and sail wide, opening the door for the guy behind you to sneak in, start wide and finish tight while being screamed at by the guy behind you and leaving the door open for a potential barger, or split the difference....

I set my dx6i to have the aileron switch activate 100% of the rudder throw during the start or tight quarters but much of the rest of the time I have it set to 50%...no point in applying brakes if you don't have to... while I have never been protested for sailing wide I am I in the wrong?
2081 EC12, 1575 EC12 Both For Sale
81 Victoria
181 RG65
1981 Soling 1 Meter
681 IOM under construction
marcsmith

Return to Sailing with the RRS