Returning to the line after being called over early

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Returning to the line after being called over early

Postby Jon Luscomb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 pm

What is the fastest and cleanest way to return the start line after starting in the middle surrounded by boats and being called over early?

Jon
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Re: Returning to the line after being called over early

Postby greerdr » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:10 pm

I ease sails to luff,wait until all boats have cleared me so I can jibe back to the higher end of the line and re-round.This is why I always end up with a middle fleet finish.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Wild Doogie » Tue May 22, 2012 1:45 am

Good Day to All,

I have a what if question? What if you were called over early and you were clearly not, can you protest the RD during the race. A second what if? What if you knew of a over early yacht that was not called, can you protest the RD during the race before the windward mark?

Not to knock the judging at races, they have a lot to do and a lot going on...(my hat is off to them) and someday it will be my turn, do you just comply to their calls? Should there be two judges at starts and finishes?

Thanks,

Doug
Wild Doogie

Postby greerdr » Tue May 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Please do RD before you call the race commitee to the protest room.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby tag1945 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Doug

The following is a reply from your question from our Rules Advisor (International Sailing Judge, Ken Morrison):
In reply to Doug's questions.
1. No, the only recourse you have for an error on the part of the Race Committee is to request redress after the race.
2. No. Here you have no recourse.
Doug needs to realize that only one set of eyes is looking at the start line from the position of the RD. It is the same with big boats, you cannot be on the line where the the race committee member is sighting the line. Even a small amount of bias in your position, makes it impractical to determine if a boat is OCS or not. That is why you never see boats win redress requests for OCS calls, unless there is a mistaken identity in sail numbers.
Aloha, Ken

Tom
AMYA 6571
Tom Germer
AMYA #6571
tag1945

Postby hedderick » Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 am

Doug is looking for guidance.
Just to add support to the previous posts.

In our local club events we remind skippers before the race that for line calls, " the RD is always right".
We also advise " don't argue or complain about the call". Just restart.
One exception: obvious mistaken boat identity, example 01 vs 10
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:02 pm

It is also good to know, and should be in the instructions, what part of the starting marks are being used for sighting. Some starting line judges use the course side edge of the mark, others use the center point or mast if there is one, to sight. Can make a difference.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby greerdr » Wed May 23, 2012 6:52 pm

I'd chime in with any part of boat beyond the forward edge(course side)of the starting marks is what should be called "OCS" = on course side or over before the gun.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Rick West » Thu May 24, 2012 11:03 am

All of us have been called over at some time if you race a lot. Sometimes you think the RD is wrong. He may be but he is the guy making that decision and you suck it up. Things are cannot always be perfect or fair. It is the luck factor in racing.

If there are multiple boats over early a good RD will make a snap decision to recall or ID the boats and call it as they see it. All have to go with the flow till we pony up to pay the RD for performance.

Here is another experience thing of not perfect and fair - if you are in a good heat position and are T- Boned when sailing on a starboard tack, you should be held right and the other penalized. But when said and done you will like have lost something; not fair or right. The fact is that both are required to Keep Clear and neither did.

Watch the Olympics and the heartbreaks when tiny details change.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Wild Doogie » Mon May 28, 2012 6:27 am

Happy Memorial Day Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your feedback and expertise on this subject. This has answered my questions and I appreciate all of your reply's. As a newbie it's great to know that you have full support and experience sailors to go to for concerns, issues and advise. :D

Let's Go Sailing!

Doug
Wild Doogie

Postby Jon Luscomb » Wed May 30, 2012 3:37 pm

If you are not over early in 1 out of 10 races, you are not trying! :mrgreen:

Jon Luscomb
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Return to Sailing with the RRS