over early at start jib counterweight

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

over early at start jib counterweight

Postby s vernon » Mon May 16, 2011 11:52 am

I think it is unfortunate that the jib counterweight is sometimes considered to be part of the equipment on an EC-12 for the purposes of calling a boat over early. If there is general agreement or decree that we should not need to worry about a flapping jib boom now being over the line and then not being over before the start as a boat reaches and luffs down the line, then could this become part of all sailing instructions, or not?

I have seen the same bewubbed racer not be called for this at a Nationals and be called for it at a regional. (I guess I should just be happy about anything that messes up those consistently excellent starts.) [8] [:)]

29 RECALLS
29.1 Individual Recall
When at a boats starting signal any part of her hull, crew or equipment is on the course side of the starting line or she must comply with rule 30.1, the race committee shall promptly display flag X with one sound. The flag shall be displayed until all such boats are completely on the pre-start side of the starting line or one of its extensions and have complied with rule 30.1 if it applies, but no later than four minutes after the starting signal or one minute before any later starting signal, whichever is earlier. If rule 30.3 applies this rule does not.
30 STARTING PENALTIES
30.1 I Flag Rule
If flag I has been displayed, and any part of a boats hull, crew or equipment is on the course side of the starting line or one of its extensions during the last minute before her starting signal, she shall thereafter sail from the course side across an extension to the prestart side before starting.

Scott
s vernon

Postby greerdr » Mon May 16, 2011 10:23 pm

ANY part...

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby bigfoot55 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:46 am

As Bob notes, 'parts is parts'. And it should ALWAYS be called. imho
bigfoot55

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue May 17, 2011 8:13 pm

The answer is in the question. IS the jib boom part of your equipment on the boat? Is the jib counterweight part of the equipment on your boat?

The answer is YES. Everything on your boat is PART of your boat and any PART of your boat that touches the line or a mark is fare game.

If you are running down the line at the start trying not to be over early and you ease you sails and your boom swings out over the line, YOU ARE OCS.

Just for the record. If you are on a big boat and one of your crew members points out another boat and the RD sees his hand cross the start line. Guess what, YOU ARE OCS!

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Columbia » Tue May 17, 2011 11:36 pm

I would be concern about Rule 9.3.
Jib booms,including counter weights,shall not extend beyond the bow.

Joe
Columbia

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 am

Yes, jib booms (and counter weights) shall not exceed beyond the bow. But Scott was talking about the jib boom being fully eased so that it is hanging out over the side of the boat.

Bottom line is ANY part of your boat (hull, booms, mast,sheet lines, shrouds, etc) that crosses the line before the start or touches a mark is a foul.

It does not need to be only the hull.

There is also the chance, in a downwind start perhaps, that the top of your mast may be over the line early while the rest of your boat is not. People forget the healing thing. Especially when waiting too long to avoid a right-of-way boat. But that is another issue.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby greerdr » Wed May 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Dr J heals;the rest of our boats just heel over.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sun May 22, 2011 11:59 am

The good news is you only have to be called over a couple of times to get the rule thing sqare in your head. Eventually you will make sure your not over with any part of your boats crew, equipment or its extensions.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Return to Sailing with the RRS