leaning then back up over and over

Discussions on the characteristics of the EC12. Yes, it handles different than most R/C Sailboats

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

leaning then back up over and over

Postby s vernon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:09 pm

A little problem I have from time to time. Going upwind the boat will sometimes not just lean over at maybe 35 degrees and stay there and sail along like that - like I would expect it to - like it did at the natls, thank goodness. What it does instead is lean over at 35 degrees then pop up pretty much vertical then lean back over then pop up. This happens over and over like clockwork every couple of seconds. It is definitely not caused by a windshift or change in wind velocity.

I figure there is some sort of dynamics happening where the sails load up then release. There is nothing that looks odd in the appearance of the boat or sails that might cause this. The boat is steering itself on a straight course and bobbing down and back up. There does not seem to be anything ridiculous that I am doing in the setup/tune.

Has anyone run into this and figured out what caused it?

Scott
s vernon

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:22 pm

Hi Scott,

The only thing I can relate what you are seeing is changes in wind speed. The boat is clearly de-powering when it stand up right but not luffing.

I have also seen a situation where my boat is heeling at 30 degrees plus and I have had the jib luff but the boat stays heeled over. I don't think there is anything wrong with your boat or the way it is set up.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:21 am

The main can be back winded in a rhythmic pluse that would change the heel. Rod Carr told me this once. I do not consider this to be slow and it isn't. However, trimming out on the jib can solve the problem but in most cases it will not point like it did.

To me it is not the action but the result and the closer I am to what may be good in performance is where I want to be, not what looks good.

You see I know little of tuning but that which works and then push it till everything else fails.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby s vernon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:30 am

Thank you Chuck and Rick. It certainly is rhythmic. That is probably it. You are right that it is not slow, but I would rather the boat did not do it. It does seem like it happens more often when I am trying to point than when I am driving off, and backwinding would be more likely in point mode.

Not slow - I sailed one upwind leg in (PBG or Melbourne?) FL a few years ago in wind of about 6 just to leeward of Reichard and bow to bow the whole leg. Spot was bobbing sideways, but there was no speed difference. I was trying to point there. Funny how you remember parts of races. We got near the mark at the same time, but somehow Reichard gained about 4 or 5 boats in the rounding while I lost a couple. It is something to look over his shoulder and watch him stir that right stick (rudder and jib trim) as he works people over near marks in light wind.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rick West » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:38 pm

I like the use of the word, "Stir." Reichard's right thumb is not connected to the tendons and sinew of his forearm but directly to the audience behind his eyes. He is a National Champion.

Many of us can run overlapped with a top sailor but it is not to assume one is as fast. The advance understanding of what will happen at the end of a tack separates the fleet.

Study the draft position and fullness of the sails in practice. First create the bobbing you describe then make small changes to observe the reaction. It is not just a sail. It is the sail plan.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Sailing the EC12