accelerating out of a tack

Discussions on the characteristics of the EC12. Yes, it handles different than most R/C Sailboats

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

accelerating out of a tack

Postby Les Ervin » Thu May 17, 2007 10:33 am

It appears to me that since this boat's keel isn't quite as efficient as it could be, after coming through the wind on a tack, I should foot off just a tad and get some speed up and get the boat moving before coming up and pointing high into the wind. Is this standard practice?
Les Ervin

Postby Frank Angel » Thu May 17, 2007 7:33 pm

Les,
The answer is yes. Think of the tack as a stall. Watch closely how the America's Cup boats tack.
Frank Angel
Frank Angel

Postby Rick West » Thu May 17, 2007 8:15 pm

Les,
There is a good collection of articles on the Class Building site. You can access it from the Class Website at www.ec12.org. Check out the Dummy Reflection writing. Much that you ask about is there. There is also a Boat Trader there, if something shows up this late in the season.

Likewise, use the Search on the menu above. This forum has been here a long time and with many new people coming on board. Much that you ask about has been covered.

Try these...you will like them.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kahle67 » Sat May 19, 2007 10:57 pm

In light air or after tacking while down in speed, it is a good idea to ease out a bit on the trim, sail for a few moments at that setting, then trim back in fully and start pointing again. When the breeze is up and you are sailing at close to hull speed, I don't find it necessary all of the time. Just make sure your thumbs are smooth and steady.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Return to Sailing the EC12