Dinghy Starts

Discussions on the characteristics of the EC12. Yes, it handles different than most R/C Sailboats

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Dinghy Starts

Postby MichaelJ2K » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:28 am

When I first started sailing the EC12, I was taught to have the boat trimmed in and powered up with boat speed at the start bell. Now, I've noticed a trend to either barging or sitting on the line, sails luffing then trim in and go. The end result usually is pandemonium, causing collisions and traffic jams. What gives??? :?: How do we correct this situation? It's very frustrating. I've seen this trend at regattas and club racing (18 boats at Mt. Laurel for a club race! A new record).

Because of this, I try to find a spot somewhere on the line that gives me a decent clear position at the start. Unfortunately, all those EC12 "dinghy's" that are barging and blocking the line are well ahead at the first mark. :(
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Re: Dinghy Starts

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:57 am

Timing your start is key. Those who are too early tend to ride the line and luff waiting for the bell. And those who are stuck below them with rights have to decide to push them up and over the line risking getting tangled with them, or staying stuck below them going slow, but at least not tangled up. I hear the words "Come Up" all the time at the starts, but there is an unwillingness by too many to do it. They would rather do a turn after the start, then go over and restart. Especially if they are in the middle of the line.

Most times when I find myself early and luffing, I will try to bail out early enough to get back around for a clean, albeit late start. I wish others would learn to do the same.

If you time your start wrong, you MUST be prepared to get out of the way of leeward boats. Take your medicine, bail out and go back around before you anger your fellow sailors.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby MichaelJ2K » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:26 am

Yesterday at Mt. Laurel, we had 18 boats show up for a club race. ( :!: ). We split the fleet into three groups of six so there would be 12 boats on the line for each race. Those early to the line would jam up the rest of the fleet causing collisions among at least most of the starters. With that, I tried to be in a spot of least resistance well leeward of the traffic jam and was able to avoid the mess (most times). Unfortunately, that puts me in a lousy position because I don't want be one of the guys trying to figure out who is wrong.

I think when the RD's start recalling the fleet, they will get the message to stop the insanity.

Smaller boats will bounce off each other but with a 12, some real damage can result. I know most of the guys with J's would not dare to do that so why do it with a 12 meter?
It's getting frustrating. Racehorse starts don't work and the casual observer thinks that the racers have no clue in what they are doing (it's true :shock:). Timing your start to have boat speed at the bell works. Even if you are a few seconds late.
Last edited by MichaelJ2K on Fri May 01, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby bigfoot55 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:12 am

If several boats are barging, or refusing to respond to a leeward boat, you cannot tell who should get the protest. At the Atlanta regatta, the RD recalled the fleet a couple of times which seemed to reduce the problem. A longer line and a little port bias can also spread the fleet out.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby MichaelJ2K » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:32 am

Here's a good link on the barging subject. http://porttackoption.blogspot.com/2011/08/barging.html.

As Tom mentioned, when the RD issues recalls on starts, the message will sink in (hopefully).
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby greerdr » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:02 pm

This discussion is going to be very good!
I agree that the "slight" port end bias might be helpful.
Saw several skippers (notably Dick Hedderick) get away very well starting at the bottom of the line.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby MichaelJ2K » Fri May 01, 2015 9:00 am

greerdr wrote:Saw several skippers (notably Dick Hedderick) get away very well starting at the bottom of the line.

Sometimes it works to your advantage, sometimes it doesn't. In a race a few years ago, I saw a shift that I took advantage of. The fleet went left, I went right and finished the race well ahead. Made me feel good! So, staying away from the barge (raft up) crew works.
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon May 25, 2015 8:39 pm

As Tom pointed out, if the RD wants to reinforce the point by recalling starts, it will start to sink in but in some venues, there just is simply no room to do anything to leeward. Pile ups will occur and the boats caught in the middle will claim the boats to weather did not stay up.

So what can you do? Push down the line and don't try to win the pin. If you notice, these boats do not accelerate very quickly so if a bunch of boats are piled up and luffing near the end of the line, push down to the middle and start with full speed, you will be able to poke your nose out in front of the guys to weather.

In many events, I see people always starting or setting up for a start in the same spot every time. Well thats ok if the wind does not shift at all or the line is truly square but neither of those two conditions ever exists that I have seen. I rarely start in the same place each time. I am usually looking up the course for a shift that will direct me to which end of the line is favored.

Venues also offer their own set of challenges like Stowe VT. The line is very close to the leeward shore so it is very difficult to do anything other than reach in with the rest of the fleet, Your only option is where on the line you make your run and to stay away from possible pile ups. Take a look up the course and see if there are any incoming shifts that might favor a pin start. If nothing looks promising, I will always try to hit the line with speed in the middle if the fleet is piled up at the starboard end.

One last thing, I try to sail the course more than the other boats. I have seen too many skippers who when they are in a position to control what you do, they do and loose sight of the big picture that we are also racing the course.

Good luck,
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Return to Sailing the EC12