B rig mast position on deck

Discussions on the characteristics of the EC12. Yes, it handles different than most R/C Sailboats

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

B rig mast position on deck

Postby kjkavaney » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Newbie here...all things being the same, would one rake the mast back more in big winds than one would normally do with an A rig in calmer winds ? or move it one or two more holes forward ??
Or does raking have more to do with how the boat sails regardless of A or B rig ??

Thanks
Kevin
kjkavaney

Re: B rig mast position on deck

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:11 pm

Kevin, All my rigs are in the same hole on the mast step and have the same rake, which is perpendicular to the deck. The deck on my boat is about 1 degree bow up. So the rake would be 1 degree aft from water level.
You need to experiment with the mast position and rake to get the boat to be balanced. There are some who do add rake in higher winds and others who move the rig forward. It all depends on your boat and where it is balanced best.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but it is kind of trial and error thing. At least for me.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Re: B rig mast position on deck

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:27 am

Hi Kevin,

Same as Joe for me. B rig is set up exactly the same as the A rig. Perpendicular to the deck.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Return to Sailing the EC12