HELP...jib trimming in racing

Discussions on the characteristics of the EC12. Yes, it handles different than most R/C Sailboats

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

HELP...jib trimming in racing

Postby kjkavaney » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:52 pm

Newbie here. how much do people actually change the relationship of the jib to the main while racing ??
I had the chance to sail a buddies boat which had the jib trim on a slider which made it real handy to change the relationship of the jib while sailing.
On my boat I have it on the elevator function but it seems to move too much...the slider set up seems to be more isolated and
not get moved like the other two sticks do.
I could do the slider gig but it would mean some new electronics for me..

Some real life experiences I would like to hear..
thanks in advance..
kevin
kjkavaney

Re: HELP...jib trimming in racing

Postby rs vernon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:17 am

Kevin,
I do not completely understand your question, but I will post this. I have added limited jib trim on a Futaba Skysport radio using just the vertical slider on the right hand stick. I duct taped a couple of pieces of popsicle stick, with the ends cut on an angle, in place to keep the rudder stick from moving vertically. I put a black Sharpie mark on the radio next to the slider to give me some point of reference in case I want to return the slider to a certain location. I think this generally gives me about an inch of jib trim which is better than nothing. You have to make sure that you set the jib sheet length to almost correct, then tweak it if you find you are at the end of the limits of this mod's slider movement. Perhaps change the jib sheet length so you get almost correct jib trim with the slider in the middle. Or whatever works for you. You could put it on the left hand horizontal slider if that seems better for you.
Attachments
skysport jib trim crop2.jpg
skysport jib trim crop2.jpg (188.31 KiB) Viewed 9702 times
rs vernon

Postby kjkavaney » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks...all good ideas...will see what I come up with...will try a ton of expo on the elevator channel to minimize the inadvertent jib movements...
kevin
kjkavaney

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:13 pm

If your question is how to use the jib trim vs setting it up, there are some who use it a lot, some who have very small adjustments and some who do not have a jib trim. All top sailors.
I have tried to use it, but cannot see the changes very well. I use it most when I put the boat in the water for fine trim, but mostly sail without using it.
Hope the more skilled skippers in the class will give you better input.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby Rick West » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Kevin, for a class that shares, jib trim operation has always been like discussing the state of your prostrate or your portfolio composition. Where and when jib trim is used varies greatly as does the amount of throw. Don't be shy to stand aside a good sailor to watch where his trim controls are and when/how they are used as the fingers move.

Today's radios are a delight for the function. Not only can you have a sixth pot built into the unit, you can slave it to another like a stick. And you can set the span of movement (end points). An example is a knob for setting the jib trim normal and full out and in points in minute increments. The right stick (normally the winch vertically can then be used horizontally for jib trim full out and in. This relieves constant fingering of the knob during maneuvers.

I like a jib trim range from one inch lateral to the mast to one inch outside the chainplate. Normal is usually set to just inside the chainplate for good maneuvering and battle. To achieve this the first time is complicated and takes time to etch it into the brain.

Then you have the maximum points for roundings, tacking and running and the tweaking when in the lovely state of undisturbed air. There is more, of course...
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Return to Sailing the EC12