Down Wind Sailing

Discussions on the characteristics of the EC12. Yes, it handles different than most R/C Sailboats

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Down Wind Sailing

Postby Wild Doogie » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Good Day Skippers!

I’m experiencing boat balance (rounding) while on a broad reach or run in medium winds 5 to 10 mph. I can let out the sheets to avoid using the rudder but that alters my course too much and using the rudder is not my first choice.

I have tried moving the mast forward up to two positions and one back and that did not help much.

Should I try moving the ballast back?

Thoughts?

Wild Doogie
SDMYC
Wild Doogie

Re: Down Wind Sailing

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:32 am

Hi Doug,

Is this something that the boat has been doing all along or is it a new development? 12's have a tendency to round up when reaching especially when the breeze picks up. Moving the rig forward will effect other points of sail so be careful not to move it too far.

Lets move the boat back to a reasonable starting point so we are talking the same language.

Base tune for most boats is a rig position of 25-26" from the Datum point which is the bow of the boat. The next thing is the rig needs to be perpendicular to the deck and as straight as you can get it. As far as ballast, the best way to check it is to float the boat in a pool or at the pond and if you have a small level, you want to see about 1-2 degrees of bow up. The final check is to see if your sails go fully out to the lower shrouds.

If all that is good on your boat, then you have the same problem the rest of us have. The only time you can sail most boats without rudder is going upwind if they are very well balanced. Off and down wind requires some driving and keeping the boat wing and wing will help.

Hope this helps,
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Wild Doogie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks for the reply and info Chuck,

I'm in the same boat as most of EC Skippers. It just seems more than I'm use to. I'm kinda new to the EC-12. The boat is balance well going to weather. With the mainsail out, it will be about a 1/4 inch from the lower shrouds. I think your right about heading downwind wing on wing, that would be best practice. I will try the 1-2 degree up of bow up just to see where she is at.

I'm very please with her and hope to become a better sailor.

Sail On!

Doug

Wild Doogie

Postby greerdr » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:19 am

Doug,
I think you have it smoked out.
I use the D/R function on my rudder when out of traffic-it is set at 75% (25* throw) and 125% (70* throw) for starts and roundings.
Thumb time is key-sail her and know her.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Jon Luscomb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 am

As Chuck says, the boat likes to "load up" and broach on a reach when you can't go wing on wing. You may want to check the twist in your main. You might need a tad more to relieve the load at the top of the rig (the top of the folcrum). If you add a smidgion of back stay or ease your vang slightly it might help.

That said reaching well is all sheeting and steering to keep the boat balanced and on her feet. That is fast. It must be done simultaneously. If you do it well, you will see her jump forward rather than round up and you will make excellent gains on others that are fighting the broach by over steering and not sheeting properly.

Proper sheeting for me is watching and anticipating the arrival of puffs, easing in the puffs and trimming in the lulls.

Good luck
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Return to Sailing the EC12