Waxing the hull

Discussions on the characteristics of the EC12. Yes, it handles different than most R/C Sailboats

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Waxing the hull

Postby starboard48 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Man I hate asking this question! The answer will be so self evident - having said that, why don't "we" wax the hull?

Tim Guy
starboard48

Postby IanHB » Sat May 07, 2011 2:45 am

Cos,wax is slow.....especially car wax with silicone in it.
The fastest thing through water is ... water.
If you have a dull rubbed finish with 1200 or 2000 paper then you will go fastest. IMHO.

DO IT NOW, Before it`s to late
IanHB

Postby Rick West » Sat May 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Tim, we are talking micro knots but we always want to be the best we can be when going after the dragon.

Years ago there was the dicussion about the micro bubbles that are formed and roll along the hull, a result of sanding. The latest that I have seen on Scuttlebutt is the same but it also said the smaller the boat (including model) the less the effect. On big boats polishing is felt to cause the water to stick to the hull with what drag that might cause.

For me, it has been to get the stuff off the hull left from drying, collisions and scrapes with concrete, poles and even barnacles like on the channel bouys at Mystic. Man they cut deep into the gelcoat.

I wipe the hull on the flat of the hand with wet 1500 grit then finish with water and cleaner on a rag.

Not a scientific answer but it makes me feel better.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby hedderick » Sun May 08, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm on the other side on this one. I routinely use West Marine Polishing compound that contains Teflon. The boat looks very nice when I'm done and gets ultra clean. I definitely think this makes the boats faster in light air. If the boat looks nice and I "think" it is faster, it will be.....
I've read that waxing and polishing makes the water bead up on the surface. These beads supposedly act like bumps and cause extra drag. The water just seems to sheet off my boat....

Richard Hedderick
hedderick

Postby bigfoot55 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:21 pm

53 SKIN FRICTION
A boat shall not eject or release a substance, such as a polymer, or
have specially textured surfaces that could improve the character of
the flow of water inside the boundary layer.

http://www.sail.ie/SW/Bottom%20Finishes.htm
bigfoot55

Postby hedderick » Sun May 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Just to clarify, when using a polishing compound containing teflon, no polymer is released into the water.

Richard Hedderick
hedderick

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri May 13, 2011 12:47 am

Like Dick Hedderick, I too use the West Marine Polish with Teflon. But the key point here is that it is a polish and NOT a wax.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Columbia » Fri May 13, 2011 11:54 pm

I think most of us fall victim to the search of the micro knot. Sure we want a hull that can go at it's full potential but in my opinion the big picture to focus on is sail trim and attitude.
Obviously a good set of sails is a good start but sail trim for well balance boat is critical on the EC12.
Attitude? Well i was surprise to discover how many sailors find it uncomfortable leading a race and will do almost anything to mess up, fall behind and be back in their comfort zone. Notice the top of the fleet sailors not only have no shame on taking the bullet but that they deserve it. Psychology my friends.
What do you think?

Joe
Columbia

Postby greerdr » Mon May 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Back to Scott's note about body aches:
We are a mind,body and spirit;each an essential part of our being and ergo: our sailing ability.
You are surely correct that we often fall back into our comfort zone,but note how many of us are very happy to sail there.
We enjoy the group,the company and shared experience of RC sailing.
Most of us have raced big boats,many of us as skipper/owners, and find this(RC sailing) as enjoyable.
Let us sail to the best of our ability and enjoy our sport as best we can.
i've never had a top skipper refuse to look at my boat and not offer their opinion on a tweak to help me sail faster.
I enjoy your company at our meetings and think the psychology is working fine.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Sailing the EC12