Launching cart

Discussions on the characteristics of the EC12. Yes, it handles different than most R/C Sailboats

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Launching cart

Postby starboard48 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm wondering if a small, low profile "cart" with oversize wheels for transporting my newly finished EC12 to the dock and/or launching it from shore exists anywhere. I need to keep the back straight and take care in lifting. Thanks for any help that may be out there. Tim Guy

Tim Guy
starboard48

Postby skip241 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Tim,

Try this link.

http://home.mindspring.com/~pmyc100/Launch.htm

If this doesn't work, go to the Piedmont Model Yacht Club (North Carolina) web site and there is a link to a launch cart.

Hope this helps.

Skip (Atlanta) [:D]
skip241

Postby starboard48 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:49 pm

Skip, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks so much for the feedback....I'm excited to get started building it. Tim (Bellingham, Wa)

Tim Guy
starboard48

Re: Launching cart

Postby Vulcaneer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:06 pm

I know this is an old thread. But just as a suggestion to others who may be interested. I am in the process of building a launch cart. Using an old (real old) Ajay golf bag pull cart, I found. Nice big wheels. Rusty, but it folds up and down. Nice long and extendable handle, that is adjustable up and down.
A little oil on pivot points, some sanding, and paint and she'll be beautiful.

The plan is to build the boat mount so the boat rides across the axis (parallel to the axle) of the cart. Rather than up and down... parallel to the downtube.. That should allow for easier conversion to a boat and easier to launch as well. And the shrouds/spreaders don't interfere with anything.

All the bag brackets are bolt ons. So moving them in position to use them for supporting the boat should be easy. A swimming pool noodle covers the downtube to cushion hull, from abrasion.

Proof of concept is complete. See early photos. Took about an hour. It works. And actually works very well, too. Will try to fit the bag cradles so they will support the front of the hull.

Another benefit is the cart folds up nice to ride in the bag caddie of my golf cart. Makes it SUPER for transport to the pond at our RV park. And once you get it there, simply unfold it, roll it to the pond, and unclip a bungee for launch.

Last item is to mount a water proof plastic bin on the handle to hold the radio. And some extra tools/batteries.

Can't beat the price.

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/burnsrm/media/IMG_0013_2_zpsh3t7pivo.jpg.html
Regards,

Bob

Seawind 617 registered Feb 2014
Soling 2661 registered Oct 2010
EC 12 750 Cork built registered in 1983
Vulcaneer

Return to Sailing the EC12