Benefits of fleet racing

Discussions on the characteristics of the EC12. Yes, it handles different than most R/C Sailboats

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Benefits of fleet racing

Postby s vernon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:32 pm

I have preached the gospel of fleet racing. It is fun and it is how you get better. I always thought that was the biggest benefit. Some people have gotten good enough thru fleet racing so now they only sail in regattas and take home the silver.

I race pretty much every Saturday. That has helped me race better, but it just occurred to me how many times I have had a problem on a Saturday in Atlanta and said to myself. Was I lucky that that happened in a fleet race.

I race maybe 20 or 30 Saturdays a year plus backyard sailing and a handful of regattas. Odds are pretty good that most of the gremlins will show up when it is not so important. Equipment failures are part of the game apparently just like getting holes punched in your boat. (No relevance - We bumper on the bow fans were just talking about that on our way home from Elon and I like to throw it in every chance I get hoping that people will wake up.) Failures can come out of the blue. Excellent equipment all of a sudden decides it is not going to all work together properly or you might discover a building boo boo, or a weak link.

People who only race in regattas are going to have all of their breakdowns at regattas. I feel bad for a friend who has equipment problems at a regatta, but I will keep preaching the gospel of fleet racing knowing that there is one more benefit, and then there is always the fun.

Scott
s vernon

Return to Sailing the EC12