Worlds 2006

Chat regarding International EC12 operations, country organizations, event gathering and proposed alliances.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Worlds 2006

Postby Philip Whitley » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:50 am

Good Evening Gentlemen.

Over the past two years there has been a lot said about having an international regatta. Nelson will be holding the Nationals in New Zealand next year and would like to offer other countries the opportunity to turn this into a worlds competition.

First and foremost I have placed this post here to see if there is an interest. I will over the next few days place some advertising and promo on our website for you to review. The link will be http://www.ec12.co.nz/proposedworlds.html

Keep trying this link it will ultimately work.

If there is interest the event will be around September - October 2006 and I will contact Rick.

Kind Regards to all, we look forward with great expectation and hope of having the opportunity to meet and share our country with you.

Philip Whitley (Class Advisor)
Philip Whitley

Postby Rick West » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:31 pm

My, but you are up early Philip,
This is great news and will be spread here certainly. Such a gathering has been discussed here for several years and I think Woody Cook in the UK would be interested, as well. Not meaning to place conditions on timing but most talk has been of traveling to NZL or AUS in November. This has been the consideration when things begin to calm down in the northern hemisphere. 10 to 12 months to prepare would be great and look forward to a date and viewing the link. I will alert the traveling list I know of to this possibility.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Jim Linville » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:35 pm

Sounds like fun!

Only because I'm too lazy to call the airlines, is there an extra handling charge for shipping an EC12 to New Zealand? I guess I'll have to figue out how to pack it up.

--Jim Linville
Jim Linville

Postby jrflorida » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:06 pm

Any chance of chartering boats in New Zealand? [:D]

John Rowley
jrflorida

Postby deafsail » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:10 pm

Wish charter from davie norris s new ec12 hull, deck mast and boom. Should bring owner bring radio , set of sails ,rmg ,battery and etc.[:)]
deafsail

Postby GraemeT » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:26 am

Sounds like a great idea Philip

I will see what interest I can drum up from OZ

Graeme Turk (AUS 189, Personal Sail No 46)
GraemeT

Postby yachtie » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:09 am

Re Chartering - Hi guys - think this may be difficult as Phil and I discussed this evening (real time u know - like down under where it's tommorrow for you guys and yesterday for us [:D])

SHOULD - what a BIG word that is - this happen we would more than likely be looking at somehow running it around the same week as our next Nats so guys down here wil liek to be preparing there boats if they aren't sailing in our Nats - OR maybe this runs immediately AFTER our Nats when boats are broken and stuff - does that mean I would have a home country advantage??? We will keep progressing thsi down here and try and keep you all updated. [}:)][}:)][^]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
&
NZL110 Swept Away
yachtie

Postby Philip Whitley » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:52 pm

Morning All,

Yes Rick I was up early. Graeme great to have you enter the discussion. Yesterday we set the date for our nationals and possible worlds if there is enough interest as being November the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th 2006.

We RSYN feel that the worlds and the Nats can run together. From our experience, airlines have no problem with our boats as oversized lugage.

I would suggest If you are coming that you take a week to view our beautiful country. We could help arrange this. One of our members manages a trike tour company all you need is a drivers license. check the link http://www.triken.co.nz/

We of course will arrange accomodation/transport while you are in Nelson.

Regards Phil
Philip Whitley

Postby kermwood » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:38 pm

Ref taking a 12 on airlines l have just returned today from the states with my 12.
l flew with BA and had a luggage allowance of two cases each weighing up to 32 kilos so l had one case of belongings and my 12 in a crate 6ft x 18" x18" containing one 12 + 3 sets of sails + masts + booms and 4 reciver packs + 4 trans packs + transmitter + 1 complete spare radio board fitted out ready to go in hull the total weight of which weighed in at 30 kilos other odds and sods were spread amonst my other case and my wifes case"s .
So 12 went as part of my luggage allowance,Don,t know if this would work going downunder given distance travelled or not ?
Funny thing was the crate appeared on both legs of the trip before my cases
Hmmm wonder if l should forget about cases and use crates!
Woody
kermwood

Postby Larry Ludwig » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:25 am

Even in todays reduced state of airline features, this is a common allowance. When I was with AMR the standard fee for going over weight or extra bags was $75.00 That was when it was 3+2 you could check three and carry two. These days, you can still reliably check two and carry one or two.... so if you are creative you can tote a lot of stuff. The fact that your boat travels in a crate as opposed to a bag is of no matter... but.. and particularly in the case of international travel... you should be prepared to open it.. or have it opened by the officials in charge.

visit us at www.LudwigRCYachts.com
Larry Ludwig

Postby yachtie » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:23 am

I have flown a number of times (albeit domestically) with my boat in its "coffin" and as long as the weight restrictions are met the oversize "coffin" is checked as baggage. Having spoken to Air New Zealand the same applies to international travel. Just as long as you can open up for inspection if needed.

My "coffin" has lockable clasps on each end that see the top off in about 10 seconds.[8D]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
&
NZL110 Swept Away
yachtie

Postby kermwood » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:02 am

Following on from my posting above there seems to be a differences in what route you fly !
If l fly BA via sidney l get a total luggage allowance of 23kg
but if l BA fly via LA l get an allowance of 64kg ie 2 x 32kg.
So it pays to do your home work where ever you fly from.
l screwed top of my crate down about 40 odd screws figure customs will have a screw driver somewhere, it was not opened going to the states but it was on the return route they left a little welcome note inside for me .
Woody
kermwood

Postby Rick West » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:57 pm

Philip,
I was excited four years ago eyeball to eyeball when Yachtie and I talked about it. I have been looking forward to the day we would actually schedule this. I think those dates will be thought well of here. When it is confirmed I will start advertising on this end.

Woody, you will be on the mailing list, as you wished a couple of years back.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Philip Whitley » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:21 am

Gentlemen,

The link http://www.ec12.co.nz/proposedworlds.html is now active. You will note that a Maori Warrior is in the section TAKE UP THE CHALLENGE, he is in the traditional stance of waiting for a friend to except and pickup the challenge he offers.

We now wish to confirm the dates on this site as the official dates. Rick and Graeme and woody for the UK, could you please email me your phone numbers so I can make contact to discuss the format for the event.

I look forward to seeing you all in New Zealand.

Regards Phil

PS Watch the page I will continue to update it through the next few months.
Philip Whitley

Postby Rick West » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:46 am

Good Morning Philip,
The Maori lad is certainly expressive. Wonderful news that we move forward. I will be happy to include the North American Continent and Europe on my email list of serious competitors. Contact me at [url]ec12@amya.org[/url]. The US currently has four on the list.

Philip, I will move to email with you and forward my personal information for contacts this evening my time. I can assure you and all the suggestions from here will be short and simple.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Next

Return to EC12 - International Chat