ec12/iec12

Chat regarding International EC12 operations, country organizations, event gathering and proposed alliances.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby yachtie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:05 am

Great - everyone seems to be on the same wavelength (get of my channel tho buddy[^]) The simple thing is - ALL these boats have the same A Rig sail plan, NZ (and I think OZ) are slightly different in that the B Rig equates to the US C and our C equates to the US Storm Rig.

So the only way is to put boat against boat and to hell with the results (yeah right! we Kiwi's WANT to beat you all[;)][8D])

Treasure (Steve) - thanks for the info re my old girl being a first generation - and Ian does still have a mould from it!

Essentially we are ALL using the same base Class Rule with local "tweaks" to meet our local demands, but as I have said - the boats are essentially the same - same LWL, same Sail plan (as above)but off course the Kiwi skippers are the best [:p][:p][:p][:p]

I await the "friendly remarks" over the last comment![^][^]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
&
NZL110 Swept Away
yachtie

Postby Nautic12 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:27 am

i did not think such a simple question (see start of chain)
would get such a reaction !I,m new to ec12,s and as you can see have
lots to learn.But above all else would dearly love to see the ec12
world compete to gether,ok so we might have slightly diffrent boats
and minor local rule changes so what !we all have in common the love of sailing combined with the best of boats to sail,I,m sure common ground can be found and its discussion,s likethis help us find it
I,m sure if AUS can let a KIWI come over for one of there cups
the rest of the sailng world can forgive BLACK MAJIC for borrowing
the :old mug:jokes aside give plenty of thought for an interntional
event we can all benifit(besides ive just built a new travel box)
and never been to Disney Land.
Nautic12

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:55 am

The 2005 US Nationals will be in Disney WORLD in Florida. Disney LAND is in California. You need to plan on an extra 3000 miles for your trip. [:D]

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Stephen Crewes » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:24 am

To Woody What is your General rules of sailing? Would it be the 10 basic rules? Or perhaps the Basic Rules? This, I stress, is not a legalistic question. Merely to get a grip on what you are saying.

To IanHB would you be interested in selling your EC12 mould off NZL1 Longtack?
Stephen Crewes

Postby Stephen Crewes » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:45 am

Well Yachtie that is quite a statement about who is best and I might add shows that the sport of EC12s racing has taken a decided turn for the better.

The best , is at best (scuse the pun) only a fleeting thing. something to be savoured in a moment of time , with all your peers to add to the flavour. For the next regatta, you start with the rest of the bunch at the start line,(no one minute starts for last years winner).All hoping to become "the best" for which we have practised all year.
Stephen Crewes

Postby Stephen Crewes » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:56 am

Well Kermwood, here is your chance to get your troops mobile. Seeing you have got your ticket, Australia 2005, 5th&6th November venue: Brisbane, Australia. This will give you an opportunity to(and I quote here) "kick AUS bums". Be there or be square. How many can we expect?
We expect you will be a member of an affiliated UK club. They say about Queensland, Beautiful one day ... perfect the next!
Stephen Crewes

Postby Rick West » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:09 pm

To All,
I will ask the Administrator of the forum to move this topic and the entire string to the top of the listings in EC12 General Discussion. I think that is a better place for the topic and reserve this listing for those things of inquiry on administration of the class here.

This move would be purely as stated and wish the discussion to continue. Thank you for the understanding.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Stephen Crewes » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:31 pm

Hello Kermwood, About Emailing you and Rick. I thought the facility was there to do just that. I have heard you use that facility as well. If you use it, do I presume this is gentlemanly conduct?

Well , I guess your going to have to spell out to me what " gentlemens rules" are? Us convicts were never into those.

Secondly an entry fee is in this country about AUD $10 or about 3.50 English pounds or about USD $8.00 (this is take out a bank loan stuff?).

Iam I getting the feeling right, that your not wanting a discussion on anything other than, you say we must have a regatta 'somewhere' and we will think up sailing rules etc when we get there and of course they will be the "gentlemans rules" of course! Sounds like a CLOSED SHOP to me. And just maybe the people who 'ask questions' are really not your sort of persons. I can take a hint.
With a last departing word. We got something out of you apart from retoric, after we put an offer on the forum. And I see that I'm going to be at Orlando in Florida on the 31st October and back here on the 5th & 6th? phew! Just one last question. Do I need an entry form and is there an entry fee for Orlando?
Stephen Crewes

Postby kermwood » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:02 pm

l seem to have pushed the wrong button with my comments on the subject of a informal (at the begining) international get together for ALL 12 owners from where ever they are from.l thought it would be fairly simple to arrange a date and venue for the future and then dot the i s and crss the ts at a later date.l guess l was wrong l only have the interest of the class at heart maybe a bit too much at times,and in view of this l shall withdraw from any more statements on this subject on this forum.
l shall be in florida in nov for the nationals with or without a place.
Woody
kermwood

Postby PaulP » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:06 pm

This discussion has been moved from the "Ask the Secretary" forum to the general discussion area.

Please note the thread is beginning to drift slightly. Suggest further posts either adhere to the original EC12/IEC12 intent. Other subjects should be opened as a new thread, referencing this one if necessary.

Paul P
Forum Moderator
PaulP

Postby Nautic12 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:12 am

rick seems to think the thread is drifting?Now we know there is interest in competition,country to country,may i suggest another look at the Iec12,with a boat acceptible to the main contendors ie usa/can/nz can we get some agreement on sailing some time some how,and ignor the big fish small pond view,we all agree we have a fine boat,lets look further than our own shores and take the ec12
to the water any place.i would rather sail and compete internationaly,free from the doubt of disqualification on some technical point,ie core samples from the plastic fantastic,
The 1metre guys get it right,so why not a class boat like our Ec12 ?[?]
Nautic12

Postby Doug Wotring » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:38 am

As the US and Au/NZ boats are quite similar why not just allow any ec-12 to sail in an international cometition as long as it is legal in it's home class organization.

Only problem would be the disrepancy in sail plans.....which could be set at whatever the hosting organization uses. Only problem that would cause is the hastle of building a new rig for the event for some folks and the damage to the bank account for buying new sails
Doug Wotring

Postby Stephen Crewes » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:44 pm

No guys I'm not back but I do have a questions or two. On Greer's statement on 2/16/2005 he mentions "salivating" about a new hull. Does this mean he is expecting yet another new EC12 hull? If he is, don't you possibly think it is just a bit weird coming out with so many hulls for what is basically a one design class? And one a bit over- the- top?
Changing of keel weights.
Historically, 'Liberty' in the America's Cup in 1983 did this and in Dennis Connors book, he said this particular thing made things worse. I personally would like to go into a regatta, where an opponent has to choose his sail rigs and also his keel weights. That would keep him busy and there would be this other thing, does he take a large book on how to tune the various combinations? Its time for me to leave. Happy sailing.
Stephen Crewes

Postby yachtie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:35 pm

Simple realy folks [:)]

NZ/AUS A Rig is the SAME as US A Rig
NZ/AUS B Rig is the SAME as US C Rig
NZ/AUS C Rig is the size I beleive of the rarely if ever seen US Storm Rig
As we tend to sail in much stronger winds than the usual US scene so the change over from A to B is when the boats are basically falling over![:D] When we sail C rigs here in NZ (regularly) its usually blowing 20 knots +.
When Rick visited us a few years back Ian Hull-Browns C rig was blown off his boat it was that wild.

So no sail outlay required Doug - bring what you have.

As to ballast being changed - is it really an issue when the lead is poured into the hulls! AS long as the boat floats to the LWL as per Class Rules (same here as in US on this one) the ballast is a non issue. These boats by their nature will all weigh slightly differning amounts as unlike the IOM (who said that[:o)]) the minimum weight thing don't apply - only the LWL[:D]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
&
NZL110 Swept Away
yachtie

Postby Nautic12 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:44 pm

thanks chris,now the matter of the sails are settled perhaps we can settle on venues and dates i don,t know how the lead crept into the discussion ?so basicly most of us feel any diffrence in our ec12s is not the hassle we all thought it was or is that to simple ?
and for those who have never used your (nz)c rig (usa storm rig)
im sure we can arrange weather to suit all tastes.
so all in all i,m glad i raised the Q ec12/Iec12.perhaps we can now put the big <b>I</b> in front of ec12 and sail world wide ????
Nautic12

PreviousNext

Return to EC12 - International Chat