Hail to the Kiwis

Chat regarding International EC12 operations, country organizations, event gathering and proposed alliances.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: Hail to the Kiwis

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Well for the first two-thirds of the first race I thought we were going to see some real racing between these 72s. Very close until one poor choice tack by Oracle. The next race, not so much. Oracle better figure things out real quick.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:30 am

I say again. Hail to the Kiwis. They will take the cup home to Auckland and begin a process for racing real sailboats. They clearly seemed to have the best boat in the VT Cup and here with the tactical minds to sail "it." I hope they will end this money black hole business.

A day at the Americas Cup; less than two hours for TWO races with each in the time we sail an NCR heat. Ugh.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:48 pm

I agree Rick, if the races only last 20 minutes, why not race 5 or 6 times? At least 4 times a day. Sure it is a real test of fitness, but the NFL goes hard for 4, 15 minute periods, Soccer plays for 90 minutes. Either make the race more legs like the LV series had or sail more races in a day. Make it the first to 21 points.

But then again, if it going to be a runaway, then the sooner it is over the better.

I read to day that the viewing is far from as great as everyone said it would be. read the "Wish You Were Here" article in Sailing Anarchy, http://sailinganarchy.com/

All those in favor of modernized, carbon fiber J boats with twenty man crews, say AYE!
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Merv49 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:59 pm

It strikes me as odd when these boats use all the leading edge equipment know to man yet they stick to having men use grinders to power the hydraulics on the boat. Who really cares? It's all about the technology anyhow so why have those poor guys manually operating hydraulic pumps. Put in an electric motor and be done with it. :D If they cared about keeping things authentic they would still be using wooden masts. :D
Merv49

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:29 pm

The sailors need a good paying job!

Looks like we finally have us a boat race boys. This thing could go the distance now, maybe. I still do not understand if there will be extra races in the end if they are still tied, even with USA making up the -2 points. I guess Oracle really needs to get 10 wins out of the next 13 races? So if NZL wins the next 4 races and they do not extend the series by one or two races, there is no mathematical way to win for Oracle. Is it just over. Somebody please explain it to me.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Merv49 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Doesn't look like we'll have to worry much about extra races. NZL clearly has the edge and what the heck was Oracle thinking at the third mark? I'm no great sailor by any stretch of the imagination but even I wouldn't have thought to make that move. You don't stop on the tracks when the train is coming. Dang!!! :D

Upon a little reflection on my past sailing performances I think I would have done a much better job of mucking it up than Oracle. I would have tacked right into irons and been left sitting there wondering what just happened. LOL :D Been there done that.
Last edited by Merv49 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merv49

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:26 pm

This is all part of that stupid boundary and the current issues. They were attempting to do a foiling tack and then head up wind into the lee of Alcatraz Island. They hoped to make the tack while staying on their foils at 35 knots. And then sail fast into the slack current. Instead they dropped off the foils and came to a stop. It was really bad. I know they practiced it and thought it would work, but you never, ever split while you are in the lead. They should have sailed off to the left until NZL tacked and then covered. It was a really bad choice. This might have been the thing to do if you were behind and trying to break free, but not when you are leading. This was match racing 101.

Don't be surprised to see Kosteki off the boat on Thursday.

The one thing you notice between the boats is the NZL tactician is not working, He is at the back of the boat looking around all the time. On Oracle he his also a grinder.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby deafsail » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:32 pm

the hurt locker

Oh, to be a fly on the wall for this little post race chat between Jimmy Spithill and Russell Coutts after Oracle quit racing. How do you think that conversation started? And ended?

Russell: “What in the holy f#@* was that?!”

Jimmy: “F#@* if I know.”

Russell: “Should we sack Kostecki?”

Jimmy: “F#@* if I know.”

Russell: “I gotta bring something to Larry!”

Jimmy: “Good f#@*ing luck with that, mate.”

Let’s see your conversation. Best three get the new SA hat and stickers…

Edited for language by Uncle Joe!
Baron Bremer
EC12-81
deafsail

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:43 pm

Ok, this thing is over. They just need to finish out the rest of the time. Sad really.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby yachtie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Start saving for flights and hotels for Auckland folks - hmmm Maybe a certain international EC12 event can be slipped in at the same time as there are a couple of great venues for 12's in Auckland :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol:
yachtie

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:24 am

USA figured something out yesterday. They actually came from behind on the upwind. I think that had the Kiwis a little shaken. Or maybe that was just the near capsize.

Still it is a long way to go for Oracle.

I still do not know what happens if Oracle wins the next 8 races and NZL wins 1 and there are no more races on the schedule. If the score is 8 to 7 but they have actually sailed all 17 scheduled races. They have to go into sudden death I guess.

Love the idea of an EC12 regatta scheduled around the America's Cup in Auckland. The Santa Barbara boys just had their NCR in San Fran with special on the water trips to watch the races. There are some great photos from Alcatraz on this site in the Regatta forum.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Some were arguing with me at the pond today that it was just a luck break for Oracle yesterday. But they have clearly gained on the up winds for three races in a row now. They lost the last race today because of a bad choice to slow down and cross. Not sure why they felt they need to slow down. I looked at it on virtual eye and it looked like they could just cross behind NZL at speed and be much closer or even ahead when they came back together with Oracle on Starboard.

I know it is a big ask for USA to win this thing, but they have boat that is moving faster now.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby yachtie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:02 pm

Agreed Joe - Oracle are a different boat and have now found top pace upwind. Race 2 today was a suck it and hold the breathe one from down under as it was truly a match race in 40 knot beasts upwind
yachtie

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Still no answer on what happens if all 17 schedules races are done and neither boat has the required 9 points. Anybody?
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby yachtie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Can't find an answer anywhere for this one Joe - seems to be in the "too hard" basket and given state of play unlikely to eventuate - but hey this is yacht racing and who know till it gets close to the equation?
yachtie

PreviousNext

Return to EC12 - International Chat