2013 Nats - Coming to visit

Chat regarding International EC12 operations, country organizations, event gathering and proposed alliances.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2013 Nats - Coming to visit

Postby yachtie » Sun May 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi guys

I will be visiting and participating in this years US Nats in High Point and am well into trip planning now :lol: . I have been offered a boat to use over there and am looking forward to the sailing.

I would like to ask for some ideas on travel after the event as well. At this time I have confirmed flights into and back out of SFO and will be visiting with Rick before the event and arriving with him.

Afterwards I have an open book and only a few days to stay so any ideas appreciatted. I depart SFO back to NZ on 13 Nov at 7.45pm so any thing that sees me back in SFO that afternoon works for me. I have never been to this part of the US and have more visited the San Francisco area and also Charleston down to Orlando after being there in 2009 and would like to get up towards Washington / New York way so any ideas for a quick visit to the area would be great.

Thanks in advance.
yachtie

Re: 2013 Nats - Coming to visit

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon May 27, 2013 10:47 am

Chris, It will be great to having you with us at the Nationals in High Point. I don't know much about the High Point area as I have not been there yet myself. I am sure some can give you some good ideas that are close by. If you are looking to see the wonders of the US landscapes, you have a ton of options starting in North Carolina. The outer Banks are about 5 hours to the East and are a really nice seashore with lots of things to do from just enjoying the beach to night life to fishing and hand gliding if you are adventurous. Although November it does slow down out there quite a bit. To the West, you get into the Appalachian Mountains and there are some spectacular views and wonderful places to go. The Great Smoky Mountains around Ashville are particularly special. The Biltmore House is a great day trip and a must see. It is America's biggest home that one of the Vanderbilts lived in. You can tour the house and then buy a complete picnic lunch, complete with checkered tablecloth to spread out on one of the lawns of the mansion. If you time it right, you might be able to get tickets to one of their many concerts on the patio series. My wife and I saw Roberta Flack there several years ago.

There are also great place further West and if you like the nightlife, you might love to get over to Nashville.

Of course, if you plan to fly to places, the Rocky Mountains are amazing. Start in Denver and work your way north to South Dakota. Again, November might not be the time of year to be driving the mountain roads up there, but there are other great place to see and do.
Or go to the South West to the Grand Canyon. Or how about the Pacific Northwest? Seattle is a great trip. I can go on and on.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Re: 2013 Nats - Coming to visit

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed May 29, 2013 8:43 am

Chris,

That is awesome news. Looking forward to finally meeting you in person as I have missed the Morgan Black event every time it came this way.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Return to EC12 - International Chat