2013 Morgan Black

Chat regarding International EC12 operations, country organizations, event gathering and proposed alliances.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2013 Morgan Black

Postby bigfoot55 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:27 am

Some US skippers asked about MORGAN BLACK results. If you have information on the standings, links to photos etc, here is a place to share.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Re: 2013 Morgan Black

Postby bigfoot55 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:28 am

Sounds like an interesting week for the 11 skippers that made it. The Top 5 below. Congratulations to Clyde Rodgers.

The Top 5
Clyde Rodgers NZ 41 points
Peter Morris AUS 64
Garry Taylor AUS 70
Chris Harmer NZ 105.5
Brian Hogg NZ 123,

http://www.rc-yachts.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1239:morgan-black-ec12-25th-february-to-1st-march-2013&catid=42:rokstories&Itemid=111
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby bigfoot55 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby greerdr » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Congrats to Mr Clyde Rogers.
Way to go Straw!
Conditions sounded tough-I am proud you held her together and finished so well.
Did you use our ploy of drinking and telling tales LOUDLY until dawn to grind them down?
Hope the "Big-Wigs" can figure out our differences so we can sail together again.
Again my friend,good show!
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby yachtie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:04 am

Hi Guys

Long time not visiting here but the MB was a pretty torrid affair this year.

As you will read in the links elsewhere day 1 was horrific - 1 race only where half the fleet retired - Kiwi's got 1,2,3 (Clyde, Brian, Me) which was con-incidentally the final race positions 5 days later as well! The weather only got worse on the Monday so a good call to bail out was made.A couple of entrants got flooded in further south in New South Wales and could not get there. It was so bad I didn't take any photo's worth uploading - and I usually take loads.

Due to a static high pressure system over New Zealand some 1000 miles east there was a squeeze on tropical air that caused the whole week to be wet and wild in Queensland - not the usual great one day, fantastic the next they always advertise. The high is still hanging around NZL with no rain other than a couple of wind screen wetters near Wellington where I live sine 4 Feb! Drought with water restrictions and fire bans in place.

Due to issues in OZ with politics - enough said - it was a shame that there only 11 starters with 3 Kiwi's being the only international traveller's.

So - time to suggest a venue for the next one then - so far we have had:

NZL 2006 - Motueka, South Island
USA 2009 - Charleston, SC
AUS 2013 - Kawana, Queensland
NEXT 2016 - where?

I would like to suggest this should remain a tri-nations circuit between these 3 as these 3 are also the primary players with the EC12. NZL is more than happy (well I am anyway) to get into organising at our local venue here where the NZL Nationals are on in 2 weeks time. Many pics of the venue are in my Picassa folders for those with access - if not search ec12nz or Chris Harmer to find.

Lets get talking now and gauge interest for where and how many are likely to travel, take politics out and just get together fro good times.

So far there are only 2 people that have entered all 3 - me and Brian Hogg from NZL. I want to make it 4 and more

Might also consider another trip up your way as well before then! Just checked prices to get to NC in November :wink:
yachtie

Postby Rick West » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:43 am

I would have to say that New Zealand is our favorite country to travel with two trips and a third on the horizon. The hosting there in 2006 was excellent and the venue outstanding. While NZL, AUS, CAN and the USA are the only nations sailing the EC12 and nationally recognized, it has always been my hope the Morgan Black would be supported for a world tour to promote the model. Marketing the EC12 has been my passion.

My thought was Canada, specifically British Columbia, but the venue near Vancouver is private I find. The IOM uses it but there are restrictions not suited for an international gathering. Windsor in Ontario is the only group I am aware of that sailings regularly.

Europe has about 12 boats listed in the Registry that covers the UK, France and Sweden. I would suggest England where we do have contacts that could recommend or discourage. John Cleave's counsel on this could shed some discussion.

There is a lot of upscale modeling in Germany with a crossroads international airport and ground travel central to all Europe.

There was interest in the US for the MB but fizzled after 2009. While I think discussion here from the US Class would be illuminating, I have seen little sign of American travel interest of late for this. Europe is a short flight leaving the US in the evening for a early morning arrival by the clock. This might peak the interest here and should be tested. I know of one national champion that goes to London about twice a year for soccer. Maybe he would be up for carrying a boat.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:32 pm

I agree with Rick that England is a possibility with John Cleave there and a couple others. It would be close enough for the rest of Europe to come over and they can use the Chunnel. Canada would draw a lot more from the US. I would like to see this event prosper, but I admit that is a once in a life time kind of event for me (if outside of the States). Let's face it, this event requires deep pockets to cross oceans with 40 plus pounds of unwieldy boat and gear in tow. Perhaps we can make it more attractive if we have boats to borrow at each venue.

If Canada or England are not up for it, then I think it would fall back to the US for 2016. It is not a cheap place to host a regatta because of the regulations they place on us, but Disney World in Orlando, Florida was a pretty successful venue for the 2005 EC12 Nationals and many have asked when we plan to return. Maybe the Worlds in Disney World for 2016 is the answer. Orlando has a real International airport with Disney World just a half hour away by rental car. Disney went out of their way to put all the skippers on ground floor rooms facing the lake, so we had just feet to walk from our rooms to the water's edge. And the economy resort there was very reasonable. The big costs are the banquet dinner and the requirement for life guards that Disney would not waiver on.

If Disney is favored, I am happy to play host and RD and I am willing to put up both my boats for foreign travelers to borrow.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks Joe, I have more to say but hitting the road for Atlanta and the East Coast in the morning. I will try to respond again along the Interstate.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Rick West » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Sorry for the delay. I am in Kingman Arizona tonight.

The US Class was a party to the creation of the MB for fellowship and meeting others in their country. This was through me and not acting for the US Class. This was to be non political and outside country processes. NZL kicked it off with Chris and Brian principle from the beginning. Now looking at the fourth event, an attempt should be made to develop a relationship in Canada or Europe. Not doing so would abort the world tour promoting the model.

If this is not possible then international acceptance of the EC12 will be severely hampered and the original idea of the MB is not supported or further, no interest. This has nothing to do with International status being sought by others. My idea was to find and get support from a person in a country and organize the event. An example is that if you want to promote the model in the UK, the event needs to be in the UK. Elsewhere, is counter to the mission. This whole idea was to get on an airplane with no dedicated rules and have a good time locally.

If this is not going to be possible and there is interest to continue this non sanctioned regatta (meaning not associated with a national authority) then NZL is next up in the rotation of the three.

This are my points after a 10 hour drive and another on the board for tomorrow. I appreciate Joe's offer but would disagree and I think the US is outside the properties for 2016 with all considered.

So, does anyone reading here have contact suggestions in Canada or Europe? If there is none coming fourth I will hit the ether till exhausted. My guess is that the UK can happen and time and travel there does not need deep pockets combined with a holiday addition. We just need a some effort. Cheers.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:36 am

You're right Rick. I jumped too quickly at the US being next. It would be NZL in the rotation if not the UK or Canada. I would try to go to England if it were there. I have family there and could make a nice vacation of it. My sister lives near Wimbledon. I can reach out to John Cleave. I think the problem for him is he keeps his 12 in the States if I am not mistaken. I am sure he can make arrangements to get it back to England.

I too would like to know who to talk to in Canada.

So I guess we can plan on Disney World in 2019.

By the way Rick, safe driving and I will see you Friday evening in Atlanta.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Chris,
I need a month to get squared away with the regatta and drive east now completed. Now, it is time to get the big boat out and to her summer mooring. I will then begin canvasing those that could assist us with MB4. I will be doing so through Canada and the UK for takers. I will keep Joe Walter (US), yourself and Rod Liddy (NZL), Peter Morris (AUS) and John Cleave (UK) I will also be contacting my contacts in Sweden, Germany and France that this is going on,

Thanks for the head up on this and look forward to your comments.

Later on this...
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby yachtie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:15 am

Cheers Rick - I will phone you direct in about 3 weeks time if that's okay.
yachtie

Return to EC12 - International Chat