Buyer Beware - who's your buddy

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Buyer Beware - who's your buddy

Postby s vernon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:33 am

Is it better to let the new guy buy a very pretty and very overpriced relic EC-!2 that does not say RMG in the ad so it probably has an arm winch and probably has the 15 lb slug for ballast along with a heavy deck, in the interest of gaining a new boat in the fleet or better to warn him that this is not a good deal?

I had no dog in the fight, but I warned this particular individual and sadly he is going to go with another class of boat for his first boat.

I have always thought that there should be a disclaimer wherever EC-12s are advertised for sale that this is supposedly a one design class, but it is really Animal Farm with some boats being more equal than others, and a prospective buyer should feel free to contact and discuss his/her intentions with the class secretary before making a big leap of faith. If you do not know otherwise and want to get into the class, how easy is it to think: Custom boat $2700. This boat less than half that much. Must be a good deal on a good boat?

I feel sorry for someone who ends up buying an EC-12 for an ungodly amount of money when that boat is probably worth more to someone who wants to put it on their mantel than it would be to a racer.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Tim » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:29 am

Scott,
It all depends on what the buyer is looking for. Maybe the buyer is looking for a back yard pond boat for the family to enjoy on a Sunday afternoon. If the new comer is thinking about racing that purchased older boat and is asking the question or looking for an opion then I believe that yes it is your/our duty to advise that person even if it means loosing them to another class.

If the guy buying that used boat does not do his or her research, then buyer beware.

The people in this class have been invaluable to me as I too started by looking at an older EC12 that was for sale. The imput from this class membership steered me away from that choice and as a result I am nearing the completion of brand new EC12 that I plan to launch this year at the Liberty Bell Regatta in April.

To all you seasoned skippers, you keep it truthful when you get asked those questions. Us new skippers are looking to you guys for assistance and help.

Thank you to all.

Tim
Stowe
EC12 #484
Tim

Postby michaele69 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

And don't despair Scott, The guy really wants an EC-12, and we'll see him with one eventually. [:)] Truth is better than disappointment. I was in the same position regarding my boat, and finally decided to build one. It took a lot longer to get in the water than I wanted (since I wanted to start immediately), but I am very glad I did. This guy is the same, he wants to sail now. A Victoria is a good choice as he now gets to sail while deciding how best to get an EC-12.

ME.

Michael Edwards - EC-12 1969
michaele69

Postby Al Stein » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:36 pm

I'll second the "truth" proposal.

My boat isn't for sale and won't be, but I'm sure that if it was, some negative assumptions might spring from its sail control (custom machined and traveler based)... since it's not RMG and also not a winch -- but what does that really tell you about the quality of the hull, the weight of the boat, the cut of the sails, ...

I think that telling a buddy what we know of thge truth is more than just a godd thing, it's often an obligation. But on the other hand, assumptions don't make it all the way to being truths.

<b><i> . . . Aim High!</i></b>
Al Stein

Return to EC12 Chat