A "purpose built" pond for Williamsburg, VA

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

A "purpose built" pond for Williamsburg, VA

Postby Winston » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:04 pm

A proposal has been made to the Dept. of Parks and Rec. for James City County ("Williamsburg"), VA to build a model yacht racing pond specifically for model sailing yachts. Designed with an 10' elevation island control area, no nearby trees, buildings or bushes, the "doughnut" pond would permit courses that worked no matter what the wind direction, along with an "around the island" course. Power, Picnic shelter, Storage building and toilet facilities, close parking, etc.

Even though you may not live in Williamsburg, you probably control whether this gets built or not. If enough e-mails can be generated supporting the project, it stands a chance. The prospect of Regionals and Nationals of many classes using this venue would fit into the tourism based economy. Please think up your own email "Build it and I will come and so will all of my friends".

Send to Needham S. Cheely,III, the Director of Parks and Recreation: ncheely@james-city.va.us

Winston Mathews
Winston

Postby Winston » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:30 pm

I would like this request for support to get out to all classes, so if you know how to contact other class folks by e-mail, please do so. If anybody has a question my email is hannibalhouse@hotmail.com

Winston Mathews
Winston

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:36 pm

Winston, I sent this email:

Needham S. Cheely, III,
Director of Parks and Recreation

I just read about the proposed model sailing pond in Williamsburg. I can’t tell you how excited I am about the idea. I am the Chairman of the Florida EC-12 Association and travel all over the East coast to regattas. I also spent my high school years in Williamsburg. I lived on Cheatham Annex and attended Brutton HS while my father was in the Navy. I would very much enjoy attending regattas in Williamsburg. It is a great place to bring my family to visit old friends, see the historic sites and ride some roller coasters. Getting to sail my boat while there is the icing on the cake.

I truly hope that you proceed with constructing a model yacht pond/park. It will be a huge draw for your town and get lots of use by the locals as well.

Joe Walter
Chairman, Florida EC-12 Association
And Commodore, Jacksonville MYC #157

------

Let me know what else I can do to help make this happen.

Joe

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:56 pm

I will add to the email messages and have been following this developement with Winston. I will contact the CS Group of the AMYA and in other media this class has. Like any action there will need to be a follow up.

This class would use it every year is some way if not for multiple events. What I am really interested in is getting all AMYA classes that RACE to support such a facility on the East Coast.

There is an interest to have multiple class racing events by those intense in racing. This facility could go a long way for that happen, as well as a change in the Association.

Williamsburg is a wonderful place to visit which includes Norfolk. There are tons of things to do there. Visiting will Mr. Shields at his meal inn in the colonial Williamsburg site is worth the fare for the meal.

Nonetheless, the venue at the confluence of the Chickamonga and the James River is historic and perfect.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:54 pm

I've sent my respects to Mr.Cheely and hope we all support Winston in this wonderful quest.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Winston » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:30 pm

Happy 4th of July

There have been too few e-mails of support for this "National" pond. There are virtually no "native" Williamsburg model sailors to write in their support. It is up to YOU, dear reader. We don't need quality. We do need quantity. If you are too busy, why are you reading EC12 Discussions to begin with?

Thanks again to those who have sent their e-mails.

Winston Mathews
Winston

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:14 am

Hi Winston,

I think it is a great idea and I would love to bring the family to Williamsburg. I have a couple of questions...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">There are virtually no "native" Williamsburg model sailors to write in their support.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Who submitted the proposal? Has the Park and Rec dept considered anything like this in the past? Do you have a site in mind that you would like to see it located or would the site have to be determined by park and rec?

Thanks,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Winston » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:23 am

Chuck

I submitted the proposal to Parks and Rec. I feel certain they have never entertained the idea before. My proposal is for the use of a particular parcel of land already in the county park system.

Now, please send your e-mail to the Parks Department, and don't forget to "copy" me. Thanks.

Winston Mathews
Winston

Postby efreeland » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:23 am

Winston -

I posted your initial e-mail on the CR-914 Yahoo Group, since we have sailors in that area. Here is another letter that went out from our CS.

Needham S. Cheely III
Director of Parks and Recreation
James City County, Virginia

Dear Mr. Cheely:

I am writing on behalf of the 1,496 owners of registered CR 914 class model
sailboats in the United States, in support of the proposal that has been
made for the James City County Parks & Recreation department to build a pond
specifically designed for model yacht racing.

From the description that I have seen, the proposed facility sounds ideal
for model sailors in your area, and I am sure that many of the 80 CR 914
owners in Virginia and 194 in Maryland will be among the multitudes of model
sailors who will become regular users of this facility. But I am writing
from a broader perspective as well.

A facility like this will be a major regional and national resource for the
rapidly growing sport of model sailboat racing. Each of the 25 classes of
model sailboats that are recognized by the American Model Yachting
Association, like the CR 914 Class, hold regional and national championship
regattas each year. There are few venues that are truly well suited to host
these regattas, and none to my knowledge that combine all the attributes
that your facility would have: outstanding sailing conditions, excellent
local facilities, and nearby world-famous attractions that can transform a
weekend regatta into major vacation for the whole family. I would expect
that the James City County model yacht pond would quickly become the venue
for many national and regional championship regattas. And, while the numbers
of model sailors and their families from around the country would represent
only a tiny blip on the tourism statistics for the Williamsburg area, I
suspect that every little bit helps.

Please let me know if I can provide any assistance in making this dream
faculty a reality.

Richard H. Martin, M.D.
CR 914 Class Secretary (www.cr914class.org)
Associate Director, Region 4, American Model Yachting Association

Ernest Freeland
efreeland

Return to EC12 Chat