Political Campaigning on EC-12 Net News

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Political Campaigning on EC-12 Net News

Postby RodCarr » Thu May 29, 2008 5:32 pm

Democracy and 1st Amendment Freedoms demand that any postings by the campaign of Rick West for AMYA President be counterbalanced by responses from skippers with alternate points of view. To use the EC-12 platform for promoting one's own political agenda can only be justified if opposing opinions are allowed the same freedom of discourse. Or is EC-12 Net News afraid of letting the sun shine on the shenanigans that are being contemplated? Rod Carr, AMYA #2, EC-12 Sail #2
RodCarr

Postby Rick West » Thu May 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Rod,
Although I have disagreed with some of your shenanigans I have been civil and respectful of a man that has given much to this Association and the EC12 Class. That respect has been vocal and sincerely presented. I have come to understand that you harbor much darker feelings of me when the skeletons blew out the closet door with passion when hearing I was nominated as a candidate for president of the AMYA. Thanks for the civility.
I have also come to learn from your friends the true understanding of my character, incompetence, mal-adjustment and misguided notions. I am learning how disgusting I am viewed since I availed myself of the democratic process as part of a team of people wanting to do something good. I think you have certainly not been restricted from your 1st Amendment Freedoms.
Now, in the mist of the democratic process, the one who called me a megalomaniac, dictator and tin horn wants me to give him space on EC12Net with such civility? I travel among these members and they know me. Sorry, Rod.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby RodCarr » Thu May 29, 2008 10:25 pm

Thank you for your response. It is just as I predicted, should anyone deign to disagree with you, you abuse your "power" by closing the door, leaving your detractors outside. Surely this is the kind of treatment that AMYA members should fear if you were elected to national office. Just as others have been "excluded" from your inner circle, just as you try to tell manufacturers how to run their businesses, just as you try to cram a bunch of your cronies onto the AMYA ballot....including a former treasurer who cost AMYA $2,500 in fines when he failed to discharge his duties the first time around. I suspect that your reputation precedes you and it is not something I would want to put on a bumper sticker. Luckily, there are many avenues of communication and your attempts at controlling a few can only be seen for what they really are, an undisguised attempt to force your views and opinions on AMYA skippers across the country. The only problem is that those same skippers are too smart to fall for such brazen manipulation for a second time and the proof of that will ultimately be proclaimed at the ballot box.
RodCarr

Postby PaulP » Fri May 30, 2008 7:55 pm

I do not wish to engage in politics or rhetoric however it is important that facts be corrected.

The Tax issue was one presented to the organization by treasurers previous to Phil Geren. The organizations financial affairs have been in a serious state of dis-array going back to the 80's probably before that. Trying to put the house in order with the Tax Exempt status is what brought it to light. Dick Rutledge recruited him after the problem was recognized.

Phil had little to do with the negotiations with the IRS, it was done by Dick's CPA, who was acting "Pro Bono" to assist the organization.

I believe if you track the time line, you will also see the tax penalty is another item that was outside his control or tenure. Once the mess was cleaned up and turned over to the present administration, IRS requires that certain documents be filed annually. When this wasn't done, I believe they then levied the penalty.

Much of problems such as this are a direct result of those who elect to sit on the sidelines and refuse to become involved. It is very easy to criticize. And I have nothing but respect for those who have stepped forward to serve both incumbents and challengers.

I am unsure of your source of information, Rod, however it has been incorrectly stated or interpreted by or to you.
PaulP

Postby PaulP » Fri May 30, 2008 8:12 pm

Early on when I set up this forum, I stated it was for items pertaining to the EC12. Since then, it has morphed into a little broader scope and many times, latitude has been allowed.

One principle I continue to adhere to is character assassination. It is with that in mind that I chose to delete two posts. A response by Capt. Flak and a retort by RodCarr.

I have also chosen to close this thread. Further discussion can continue by opening a new subject. Please be reminded that all views are acceptable however attacking other persons will not be allowed.

Paul Proefrock
EC 12 Web Administrator
PaulP

Return to EC12 Chat