Master Plug

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Master Plug

Postby Rick West » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:51 pm

The hull standard plug process has been updated on the Building Site. This is a report of testing of the plug hull.
Rick West

Postby MichaelJ2K » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:27 pm

Rick,
I've just read your report on the master plug. First, I'd like to thank all involved for the work in making the plug as it will ensure perpetuity of the class.
I have a question regarding the plug and the measurement effort to check conformity. Did anyone consider digitally scanning the plug to convert the coordinates into a 3D CAD solid model? Surfaces can be generated and any imperfections can be corrected in the CAD model. Once the surfacing operation is complete, a file can be generated to a CNC program to machine a plug. I recall Greg Worth doing this with his Pinter Marblehead kit. Yes, an operation like this can be very expensive but I am sure there are class members with these talents and capabilities to do this.
Just wondering,
Mike
MichaelJ2K

Return to EC12 Chat