The NCR - Your Opinion

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby usail » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:01 am

I, too was one of the standbys for the 07 NAC. This was my first regatta, in fact I'd only sailed 2 races prior to Charleston. I was not at all competitive as my recently purchased 'used' boat was in the process of teaching me all that can go wrong below deck. After sailing and repairing the first day, I did not sail in the high winds the next day as I had no B rig and knew my inexperience could interfere with or damage competitor's boats.
My experience there was great. Not only did I meet some really friendly folks, I learned so much about the intracacies of the EC12 and even ordered a new boat while I was there! The experience of sailing in a 19 boat fleet (I did have to do one 720, and was OCS 2 times) was the quickest learning curve I'd had for years. I feel that I'll be able to start 08 as an (almost) competitive skipper......we'll see.
Although I ran into some road bumps along the way (because my priority mailed, last minute NAC entry form was incomplete), Reichard, Rick and particularly Frank Angel were sooo helpful. Thank you!
I say all this to support allowing all to attend the NACs. As was pointed out, there is a lot of enthusiasm with the newer skippers and the P/R system seems to level the field, while still providing the opportunity to move to the top if you're good enough.
Happy New Year,
usail

Previous

Return to EC12 Chat