2008 NATIONALS

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2008 NATIONALS

Postby fvracer1 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:29 am

The process of starting to plug the 2008 Nationals begins right now. To those in attendance at the Nationals awards banquet learned, Detroit MYC is hosting a "Raceweek" starting off with Soling 1 Meters, followed by US1M's and closing out with EC12's. The venue is Camp Dearborn, Milford,Michigan. Here is a link to whet your whistle and put on your Mrs. Claus wish list. www.CampDearborn.com. DMYC has hosted many Nationals there including IOM, US1M. AC. Victoria to name a few at this site and the overwhelming majority of the sailors absolutely love the site. It has a sidewalk surrounding the entire pond with a sea wall. Check www.DMYC.org for NOR and race entries after the first of the year. We will start accepting entries April 1st. I am considering, with Ric's blessing, a 6 boat promotion/relegation. Camp Dearborn is a people Camp - Sorry, pets are not allowed.

Talk soon!

Dumb Butt. USA 189

"When the cannon fires, harden up, tack or get out of my way"
fvracer1

Postby Doug Wotring » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:47 pm

for those interested:

there will either be a bus headed to Camp Dearborn or a truck and trailer combo (this option would allow flying for skippers)
Doug Wotring

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:46 pm

Frank,

What are the dates again?

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby fvracer1 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Hi Chuck, I am taking this opportunity to thank you and Dave Ramos for helping Dave Harrington with his Ozmun winch. He came back to cabin 3 "mumbling: "they had it all apart in pieces and I'm thinking I am never going to get it back together" It was much appreciated....

Soling 1Meter: Sept.27-29
US1M: Sept.30-Oct2 Noon
EC12: Oct 2 1PM (measuring)- Oct.5

fvracer1

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:38 pm

No problem Frank,

We were happy to help Dave out. I am glad he was able to continue to sail and enjoy the event as much as I did.

I am looking forward to coming to Detroit next year.

Thanks,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby kahle67 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:28 pm

Frank,

Is it the lake where they rent paddle boats during the summer? Also, what are the rustic cabins like, I can't find photos?

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby fvracer1 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:46 am

Yes Reichard, it is the paddle boat lake but they will be out of the water when the Nationals occur. (Lake shape looks like the numeral 9 laying on its back) Here is a link to some pictures taken during the IOM Nationals we held there. Click on Prev/Next for more pictures and an idea of what the lake looks like....www.pbase.com/bagginz/image/60111156 The cabins are "very" rustic with army cots. I believe they rent for 35./day. Not as nice as James Island. I will be securing discount hotel rooms, most likely at Baymont Suites in Wixom, Mi approx 6 miles away. Details to follow.

fvracer1

Postby ivorcwalton » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:30 am

One way to be consistant with the number of boats promoted and relegated would be to use a PERCENTAGE rather than just a NUMBER. If we use 25 percent it would equate to 5 boats up and down for a 20-boat fleet, 4 boats up and down for a 16-boat fleet and 3 boats up and down for a 12-boat fleet. It would be 6 boats up and down for a 24-boat fleet which will probably never happen.

Ivor
ivorcwalton

Postby kahle67 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:23 pm

I had considered running the Charleston event promoting and relegating 5 between fleets but chose not to. I was concerned that the extra movement would a)further exaust those who found themselves consistently on the bubble considering the amount of walking per heat and b)make it more difficult and time consuming for Frank Angel and staff to chase clothes pins. The 2007 Nationals was originally set up with a maximum number of boats at 43 which would have put 17 on the line in each heat. 17 boats and four up and down is the right number. When we decided to increase the fleet size we left it alone.

With four boats moving in a fleet of 20, you really had to earn your way to the top and if you think about it, there was a 5% less chance of being bumped down.

Ivors coments of using a percentage of 25 is right on IMHO.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Winston » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:11 pm

I don't have a horse in this race. A couple of computer simulations by Lester Gilbert which considered the question seem to indicate that as long as there are 4 promoted the system works (and that it doesn't work better with 5 or 6). Here is one of them:
http://www.onemetre.net/OtherTopics/Eve ... simbad.htm

Winston Mathews
Winston

Postby fvracer1 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:36 pm

A special email address has been created specifically for the 2008 Supernats. If you have any questions, trquests or suggestions, please email us at "ShowdownMotown@live.com"

Detroit Committee

fvracer1

Return to EC12 Chat