National's Weather

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

National's Weather

Postby fvracer1 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:43 am

I just checked weather forecast for Charleston. Friday forecast calls for wind speed in the teens and gusts to 25mph.... I have never been to this site, but it sure looks like a B rig regatta to me.

dumb Butt

"When the cannon fires, harden up, tack or get out of my way"
fvracer1

Postby Winston » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:44 am

Watch the winds blow around Charleston from the comfort of your own computer.
http://www.wunderground.com/stationmaps ... &wmo=99999
Winston

Postby kahle67 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:11 pm

It is starting to look like light air rigs will stay in the box. NE is a great wind direction for our lake if the forcast sticks. May be some scattered showers so foul weather gear is a must. The temperatures look comfortable during the day and chilly at night.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby s vernon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:04 pm

Reichard,

I had considered whether or not I should once again make a fool of myself here, and decided against it, but then you wrote about the NE wind…

From my limited experience at Charleston:

NE wind, perfect for the way the course is laid out.

NNE wind, not so good if some buoys are not moved. Problems are starting line being big time port end favored and course being skewed to the right/long port tack/short starboard tack. That 22 degrees of shift in the median wind can make a pretty big difference in the quality of the racing.

I know you have it covered, but I just cannot restrain myself from shooting my mouth off.

I am very much looking forward to the regatta, having not attended a nationals since Lake Norman.

That should be part of Frank's how to hold a regatta instructions. Very important - always do - starting line pretty much 90 degrees to the median wind (if the wind is fairly steady in direction) and make a good attempt to put the weather mark directly upwind from the starting line, even if that means the weather mark will be quite a ways offshore.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Frank Angel » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:12 pm

Hey Reichard,
You know how we’ve been searching for someone to volunteer to move the marks between heats. I think we’ve found the perfect guy. Scott seems to know exactly how the course should be set up. Make sure you have a PFD for him.
Regards,
Uncle Frank
Frank Angel

Postby greerdr » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:11 am

BAM!!

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:51 pm

Guy's

At least we now know who to complain to if the line is not square!

While we are talking about weather, did anyone notice TS Noel which at it's current projected path puts it off the coast of South Carolina by Friday PM?

Can anyone say "C" or "D" rig...or "Bartender?"

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby bigfoot55 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:10 pm

If the 25 knot Nor'easter we have in St Augustine tonight goes up the coast, it will be fun to watch.
bigfoot55

Postby kahle67 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:50 pm

NOAA seems to think that the series of fronts pushing through towards the end of the week will steer Noel away from the SE coast.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Return to EC12 Chat