One Design?

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

One Design?

Postby BobR » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:34 pm

I was wondering if the EC-12 is a one design class what the differences are between the one piece Hull that RMD offers and the two piece hulls that others offer. Obvoiusly they are not laid up the same, thus not one design.

Please explain
BobR

Postby kahle67 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:32 pm

I think you just answered your own question. The EC-12 is a controlled design not a one design. If it were a 1D class, having the same ballast and the same deck would be much more important than whether the hull had a seam or not.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Rick West » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:16 pm

All hulls are made from a class mold that comes from a master. This is the design of the hull and the standard. The techniques of fabrication are not a matter of design. We are as close to a one-design hull as we may ever get. We have design and registration control. The correct label is that the EC12 is a Restricted Design.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:05 pm

Hi Bob,

Are you looking for some difference between the two styles of hulls? No question that each version complies to class guild lines if they come from an approved builder. If your questioning which might be better, then that might be arguable. Do you already own a boat?

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby s vernon » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:54 am

I think people are missing this part of the question - "what the differences are between the one piece Hull that RMD offers and the two piece hulls that others offer."

The difference is that inside the boat - 2 piece hull - there are one or a couple of layers/narrow strips of glass cloth joining the 2 halves together. Outisde the hull the hull builder has to trim the flanges of the two havles and fair the joint with gel coat while building the hull.

The difference in appearance of the two hulls and the difference in performance should be (obviously will be?) zero.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Larry Ludwig » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:29 am

...and the difference is only in the method. A 2 piece mold may be clamped together, and simply laid as a one piece mold, and then opened to remove the hull afterwards.
Larry Ludwig

Postby BobR » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:34 pm

I do have a boat but wondered if one would be stiffer than the other due to the way it was built or should I say layed up. Being fairly new to this I thought that all hulls had to be formed, layed up, built or whatever you wish to call it...the same. Rick basically answered the question by stating the the EC-12 is a "restricted design" and not a "one design".
BobR

Postby greerdr » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:33 pm

It would be great to see another spreadsheet like the one done at Disney Nat's.Bet a lot of top sailors are in RMD's.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to EC12 Chat