Old Hull

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Old Hull

Postby Matthew Houghton » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:36 am

I have an old Hickman Hull purchased off through the EC 12 site. She was laid up around 1984. The hull came with an old Hickman deck too. I really like the deck and want to use the deck. It is a bit narrow than today's standards for the width of a boat. Question is should I just use the deck as-is or should I wrap it with a piece of wood to bring the width at each station to today's standards?

On a side note, I know that the hull itself is grandfathered. Because the deck and hull are essentially new, would the deck be grandfathered as well, even though it hasn't ever been attached to the boat?

Matt Houghton
"EC 12 Rescue"
Matthew Houghton

Postby AJ Moritz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:39 pm

Hi Matt,

I assume you have a wooden plank Hickman deck. Yes the deck is nice to look at but unfortunately its on the heavy side but then again if you not going to compete with her I would just leave it alone. If I understand you correctly, you want to increase the beam via widening the beam stations. To perform this you will have to remove the deck and increase each beam station. There is a min and max dimension for each station which is detailed in the Class Rules.

If you are going through the process of increasing the beam, you would be also wise to fit a new deck. Balsa core-laminated decks are fairly simple to make. Once you have revised the beam stations, install the new lighter deck, you will probably be amazed on much better she will sail, particularly going up-wind.

I hope this helps!

AJ
AJ Moritz

Postby Matthew Houghton » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, AJ but I think I left out a couple of crucial details. The boat was never built. The deck is still separate. No, I will not be sailing this boat in any regattas. I have two other EC 12's that I am preparing for that - both with glass/balsa core decks. This boat is just meant to be a pretty-looking day sailer. I like the deck and still wish to use it. Question is... leave it the same (as long as it remains legal - no, I don't want to race it, just don't want to rule anything out, you see) or make it larger to fit class beam stations?

Matt
Matthew Houghton

Postby kahle67 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:13 pm

Matt,

There is no such thing as a "grandfathered deck." The measurements at all stations must be within the +/- allowances stated in the rules. Are you sure the deck was made by Hickman? I find it hard to believe he would supply one out of spec.

Anyhow, I realize that you do not intend to race her but consider this. Suppose one day down the road you decide to give, sell, or loan the boat to somebody who is interested in racing it. I think it would be wise and not that difficult to modify the deck now before the installation. That way she is good to go anytime in the future.

Reichard
kahle67

Postby Matthew Houghton » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:14 am

It's definately a Hickman deck. I spoke with him about it. It is not mis-made. You have to remember that this deck and hull were made 6 years before the 95 standard regulations. Its use will not make my boat a 95 spec boat. If the two were put together when they were new, the boat would, in fact, be grandfathered and legal for competition. The fact that they were not put together and decks are not grandfatherable/ed constitute my predicament.

Perhaps I should direct this to the class high-law. Question is, if I use this thinner, old deck on my old hull (both in like-new condition as construction was never started on this boat), will the boat be legal for competition (should I ever decide to) even if it is thinner than the minimum 95 widths at some of the stations?

Actually, I think our discussion is making my decision for me. It seems that I am entering a gray area here and that I could avoid future embarassment/disqualification if I make some minor adjustments to the deck now to make the beam width measurements correspond to 95 specs.

Thanks. I just don't want to build an illegal boat.

Matt
Matthew Houghton

Postby s vernon » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:28 pm

You can see the "old rules", which show the dimensions for the width in effect at the time that hull was created, if you look in the EC12 Manual.

Scott
s vernon

Postby kahle67 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:56 pm

Matt,

Are you measuring the deck itself or are you measuring the beam of the hull with the deck held in position? The older hulls built without the flange were normally constructed with the deck inside of the hull as opposed to being on top.

RK
kahle67

Postby Rick West » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:36 pm

Matt, considering the honesty and underlying integrity your comments would bode well to whom you may sell the boat in the future. I am sure your description of the boat would follow this character.

Legalities aside, this is a hobby and you are not going to be arrested if the boat is not to specifications and by the rules. The big todo about rules and specifications is that this is a one design class so that when the boys and girls want to get serious with competition we will have a level playground to conduct it. That is the short of it.

My suggestion is that you build the boat however you wish and enjoy the fruits of your craftsmanship and the accolade of others. It is your personal project for your personal reasons and no one should inform you of what you HAVE to do.

After all of us reading this are dead and the boat shows up at the Worlds in chilly Reyklavik in 2050 and found out of specs...tough...should of known that before they got there.

I respect your ethics, Matt. Relax and enjoy what you have.

...from the land of Hippies. Remember them? [8D]
Rick West

Return to EC12 Chat