America's Cup

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby The OZ » Wed May 23, 2007 9:57 am

For all America's Cup fans here in the United States read Gary Jobson's report in the May 2007 issue of Sailing World starting on page 23. I like the paragraph that has this quote "a friendly competition between foreign countries". Seems simple enough to me and by the way his All-American,America's Cup Team would be fantastic. Saying that will this ever happen, I for one would hope so, but reality say no way.[8D] Dick Reinke
The OZ

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:54 pm

I think Luna Rosa has been sandbagging and now they are ready for a five straight come from behind win.[:D]

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby IanHB » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:07 am

Well they better get a wriggle on because time is running out. [8]
More likely that ETNZ have untied the sea anchor they have been towing around during the earlier rounds now that it is starting to get serious.[:o)]
Not long to wait.
<font color="red"><font size="5">GO KIWI.</font id="size5"></font id="red"> [;)]

DO IT NOW, Before it`s to late
IanHB

Postby yachtie » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:10 pm

5 - ZIP
Cool calm and collected - watchout Alinghi
Go Kiwis Go

A great cartoon in this mornings paper (before last race) has Italians commenting "Loosing is bad enough, but it's their refusal to celebrate that really hurts"

Peter Montgomery (yachting commentator down here) when asked who would win the final said - we will all have a very good idea within in 30 seconds of the first start - Maybe we will - it will be damn exciting and enjoyable to watch when the gloves come off in a couple of weeks time.

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby IanHB » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:35 pm

<font size="5"><font color="red">OK phase one is complete</font id="red"></font id="size5">[8D]
Now where are those Swiss fella`s. [:D]

DO IT NOW, Before it`s to late
IanHB

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:43 pm

I am very happy for the Kiwis. They have proven to be the best so far. I just wish there had been some real racing. In the 18 races of the Semi-finals and finals, we saw two really interesting prestarts, 3 passes on the course and about one and half legs of any real tacking duels.

I understand the guys in front just being cool and covering, but the guys in the back never really tried. The Spanish gave it a good try, but were out classed. Oracle/BMW (note I did not say Americans) made one great pass after getting a good puff, and that was about it. And the Italians made it interesting today, but threw the race away yesterday with that early lee tack. WHAT WAS THAT ANYWAY? The rest of the races where boring follow the leader races with little to no real challenges.

The most impressive thing to watch was the flawless sail handling by the Kiwis. Their gybes were amazing.

I sure hope the racing is more interesting in the America's Cup.

Give me the 12's in Perth. Now that was racing.

Oh, and sorry all you Kiwis, I will be rooting for Alingi. Why, because they at least will have an American driving the boat even if the rest of the team are Kiwis.[8D]

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Legend » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:36 am

All the bagging of Dean Barker and crew in various "foreign" media brings to mind a quote from a current member of Alinghi's sailing team (an ex TNZ keyplayer/defector) "..he (Dean Barker) mightn't know how to start up a lawnmower but he sure knows how to start up and keep going a race boat..".
Watch this space, game on!

ROD LIDDY

ROD LIDDY
"LEGEND"
EC12 NZL 115
EC12 NZL 135
Legend

Postby Larry Ludwig » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:49 pm

The whole thing was pretty much a bust for me, I never saw the American flag flying one time on any boat.
Larry Ludwig

Postby s vernon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:46 am

NZ was way ahead in the 3rd race. Lost it all due to bad spinnaker work tho. (Start was delayed.) Quite a race. Alinghi ahead.

The guys on Sailing Anarchy are always helpful. Live action via windows media player or perhaps real player as well.

Apparently the web address for the reflector is constantly changing so you need to go to SA and keep up on the AC Discussion Forum to know what it is and stay plugged in.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:26 pm

Scott, you must have missed the end of the race. ETNZ won by 4 boat lengths at the final down wind gross at the finish.

Alinghi are sailing dumb. First they split at the start after killing ETNZ. That lets ETNZ come back for the first cross and just slap them. Then ENTZ has a bad kite drop and they split again. This time to let Alinghi back in front. Not to mention another one of those leebow tacks. What is up with that?

But wait, one more split for good luck and to give it back to ETNZ.

First rule of match racing, COVER. second rule of match racing, COVER!

Still it was fun to watch.[;)] It was a real boat race this time.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby s vernon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:35 pm

Joe,

I did not miss it. I just did not post about it. I had to go back to work.

Quite a crazy race - I am watching it again on Versus and taping it right now.

Scott
s vernon

Previous

Return to EC12 Chat