how to find a competitive EC12

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

how to find a competitive EC12

Postby Les Ervin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:16 am

I want to find a competitive EC12 that is class legal. What should I look for? Thanks for any responses in advance.
Les Ervin

Postby Mike Zellanack » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:00 am

Les:

I'll be selling my boat as soon as I finish building a new boat in a couple of months. Give me a call at 727-526-4212 if your interested.

Mike Zellanack
Mike Zellanack

Postby Rick West » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:56 am

Les,
It has been said for a long time that a competitive boat is 80% skipper and 20% boat and luck. There are several traveling competitors that have older boats sailing in the top of the fleet. One from New England is sailing a refitted 30-year old Treasure Tooling hull and is consistently finishing high in the fleet at major events.

Most top competitors build their own boat and Mike Zellanack is a top competitor in the class. He also provides crafted parts for the EC12 and will build a commissioned boat for anyone and there are many in the fleet.

This being said, the boat its self is the base for competitive action. Whether you build or buy to refit you want a clean deck, a total boat weight around 24 pounds with at least 18 and a half pounds of lead ballast, at least three inches of jib trim travel, a frictionless sheet line delivery, a simple solid electrical system and a RMG winch. This is a basic seen time and again in the fleet.

To power this you want an aerodynamically clean rig with all manual controls easily adjusted at the water’s edge. The sails mounted can be from anyone with full knowledge of the cut to fit the rig and the tuning for the wind conditions and balance of the sail plan when under power. Added to this is what to change when performance is not to par.

Throughout there is a must for good line and knots and good wire, fasteners and connectors. Failure of the rig or the electrical system on the water in all winds cannot be tolerated. The most common is the battery. A good competitor brings fully charged and tested batteries and replaces them with there is still plenty of power left.

Now having obtained this you challenge your discipline to sail smooth and connect your eyes to the boat with the six inches between your ears and to a race plan with vision for at least one tack ahead of your boat.

As to legal boats, all that have been registered with this class are accepted and the boat is rigged and fitted to class specifications by the class rules. These are simple and easy to read. It is suggested that any boat considered that has a Yacht Registration Number (sail number) label in the hull can be queried through me, as to its history and ownership. There also may be a hull manufacturer’s label in the hull with a serial number, which can be related together in the Class Registry.

While this was a long read today, it is all really simple…we all just want to have fun and smile on your way home.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby s vernon » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:54 pm

It has also been said that it is a lot more difficult be competitive at a high (regatta trophy winning) level using a narrow keel boat such as Treasure Tooling, but it could be that that idea is passé. If you do buy into that idea, you are not going to be able to tell if a boat is a narrow keel (about 1.6 inches) boat or a 95 standard (wide keel) boat just by looking at the for sale ad on this site, even by looking at the price tag. Ozmun hulls all have wide (about 2.1 inches wide) keels, but they were made (mostly) in the pre-95 standard era. I believe they still win a lot of races and maybe win regattas as well. Some manufacturers have made both narrow keel and 95 standard boats: Robin, Hickman, Hartman, come to mind. A few manufacturers have made only 95 std boats: Brawner, Ribiero, Dudinsky, Puritan (sort of true?) and several others. I do not think there is any current builder other than Robin who has made both old and new style boats. The latest class-owned-mold boats are what I would call “trued up hullâ€
s vernon

Postby greerdr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:32 pm

Start at the "boat trader" section here.I totally agree with the previous posts. If Mike Z will sell you # 80 (blue RMG),that is a proven killer fast boat.all who have sailed against her i bet would agree.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Rick West » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:12 am

Yeah Doctor Bob, but it is not really killer fast. You have to be patient with Mike for the mistake that rarely comes. If he minds his experience it comes to luck for the rest of the fleet. Still, to others the boat is only the base and a good one. In Florida he is so much fun to sail against. Top notch.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

I don't mean to lessen,in any way, the performance of that OTHER killer fast boat - you know the # 94 that WON the regatta - but I don't see it listed as available.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Rick West » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:26 pm

I hope the wind blows in Naples...see you there.

Posted from Atlanta...

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Les Ervin » Mon May 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Can a Dumas boat be competitive without a major refit?
Les Ervin

Postby greerdr » Wed May 16, 2007 12:12 am

Have not seen one place anywhere near the top in any recent regatta,or even any Dumas hulls competing.I think Capt.Flak has one.
Time and money might be better spent on a new hull from RMD.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to EC12 Chat