Best "car" for hauling an EC12?

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby jrflorida » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:43 pm

I find that my 1967 Porsche, that I bought new, works just fine. I did take out the passenger seat because I am the only person who rides in it. My wife insists on air conditioning here in sunny Florida.
John Rowley
jrflorida

Postby greerdr » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:00 pm

Can't wait to see you and your "CHICK MAGNET" here in Palm Beach.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby s vernon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:51 pm

Dick,

I have a 2000 Honda Civic hatchback that I drive alone to regattas. I am curious how you arrange the rigs so you can fit 2 people in the car. I figure I might be able to make a support above the boats for gear, but I cannot figure out how to put rigs plus 2 people in the car. I would prefer not have to strap a box on top.

I support my masts under the passenger's visor and the masts go almost all the way back to the aft limit of the car. I do not think the 2003 is much longer than the 2000 if any.

Scott
s vernon

Postby The OZ » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:35 pm

Scott, My Honda Civic is a 2003 EX Sedan. I fold down the back seats (60/40 split backs) and slide in the boat on its cradel, put the sail rigs (in cloth bags) next to boat. The very tip end of the rigs fit between the notch between the front seats. Load all the rest of gear around the empty spaces, behind the front seat on floor slide in my folding chair. If I am going for an extended period of time (overnight etc)I put duffel bags in space next to the boat, put rigs on top of this stuff. Can always find empty pocket to put small gear. Only complaint I have from my first mate is on overnights or week(s) long trip is not enough room for all her stuff, but she is a good mate and comes along to all regattas.
The OZ

Postby Winston » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:50 pm

Maybe one of those "Thule" type roof top "cargo boxes" would solve my problem. I understand that they are not water "proof". Anybody have any experience with one?
Winston

Postby jack wubbe » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:27 pm

Some of the Marbelhead guy's use them but without a fin/bulb and the hull weighs about 3 lbs. I dont think hoisting a 24 lb. boat up to the roof is a good way to go. Also who cares about leaks. It's a boat right and they all leak.

Jack #2123
jack wubbe

Postby Winston » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:08 am

TA DA! As several sailors noticed at the Nationals, Zoe and I have a new ride. The Mercedes "R" class 320CDI (means diesel). Big car (holds more than everything). On the 583 mile ride back to Naples I averaged 30 mpg without stopping for fuel along the way (driving at the speed limit +5). Frank Novak and Ole Kistler each have the same car with the gasoline engine. I like it.
Winston

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:24 am

Hi Winston,

The only option that no one has mentioned is the one I use. I book passage for my boat and gear in other peoples BIG SUV's and I fly to the events carrying only my small brief case for rum and cigars!

This is the only way to travel to regattas.

Doc Greer also has a great way of doing it. He keeps a boat in each region and just carries batteries!

Happy hunting!

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:28 pm

But TSA is really giving me hassles.And I think the "ladies" are becomming jealous as I can't seem to go as fast as the competion.
I think Winstons R 320 CDI is KILLER. Cool ride.
Hope to see many of you at Golf World in December,where the water is wet not frozen and the sailing is smooth.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Rick West » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:08 pm

Yes, the R320 CDI is a nice car. I did all the research and then discovered in small print on the Build a Car process that it is does not meet California emissons standards and not available. Rats!

I also found out that the MSRP is for a car with nothing but and engine in it. You could take it to the Flea Market and leave it unlocked and not loose it. There is a withering list of packages and options. Wow! Looks like post graduate work.

Same...after I became convinced a personal diesel car would be a good move.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Ken S » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:58 am

When I was shopping for a new vehicle I took My boats with Me in the Explorer. Told the dealers we weren't talking if they didn't fit in what they had to offer. Got some funny looks but if it doesn't work no need to talk about it.
The Honda guy was the only one that didn't blink, looked at what I had and said no problem. So we put a J Class, an EC12, a Wheeler and a Soling 1M into the Elephant...err, Element. I thought for sure I had him on the J mast...nope, slipped that puppy right in there. Good comfortable ride too, I was sold on it.
The seats all fold back and meet, the J sits on the passenger side seats. The back seats also come out if needed. All these boats fit along with some of the gear I bring to regattas.
Road noise? No problem just turn up the sound system, its got the best sounding system...you typically hear Me before you see Me. Got a GPS to help Me find any pond, just tell Me when and where, I'll be there.

Ken
Ken S

Postby bogordoug » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:41 pm

My new EC-12 car is Smart!!! Yellow two-door with hatchback. Holds me, my EC-12, 3 sets of sails, an carry-on suitcase, boots, transmitter, and the rest of my gear. Even has a power outlet for charging my batteries as I travel. Sorry no extra passengers. Yes I can see out of all the windows with no blockage, and a moon roof to boot.

I only purchased it after I visited the SMARTUSA tour this summer with a tape measure. The passenger seatback folds forward to provide a flat space, the sails fit nicely between the windshield/dash and the rear hatchback window.

Unfortunately I didn't purchase the cabriolet or I could set sail to many a destination.[:D]

And Winston, it is a Daimler product.

Come to the Raleigh Regatta on May 3-4 and see it in action. No...it is not included as the door prize.[8D]

Doug Hale
bogordoug

Postby Gib Loesel » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Winston,
I have a Honda Pilot, can slide the passenger seat forward and stand up the sail box against the side, plenty of room for the boat, related gear, cat and cat box. [:D]
Also have hauled two by laying the sail boxs in kind of cross ways and put a boat on each side. Hope this helps.

Gib
Gib Loesel

Postby EC1210 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:41 pm

The Chevy Avalanche works for me, the back seat flods in no time. I put a bar across the top for the bed section, which the sail box sits on, with the boat under, plus room for the Ms bags and tool boxes, also room for cat and litter box. Nice cover that is locked for those lunch stops.
A "J" boat and sail also fits.
A plus when not sailing a full 5 passanger.
EC1210

Postby Doug Wotring » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:45 pm

if anyone wnays a nice used avalanche.....I have a buddy that has a great low mile fully loaded one
Doug Wotring

PreviousNext

Return to EC12 Chat