Nationals Predictions?

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Nationals Predictions?

Postby fvracer1 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:45 am

I am pressed for time to put a B rig together for the Nats and was wondering what kind of weather, buildings, trees we might encounter at the pond. I was also wondering how are we were planning on launching the boats and would water shoes be necessary? At what wind speed should I start thinking about installing a B rig as I obviously never used one before. Thanks....[?]

"When the cannon fires, harden up, tack or get out of my way"
fvracer1

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:22 am

The lake at Pop Century Resort in Disney is very large and pretty much wide open. the prevaling winds are out of the South which should provide a very good windward/leeward course. The hotel buildings along the lake will be at your back and should not disturb the wind. Since we will be sailing at the Northern end of the lake, the wind will have plenty of room to find its steady course with very few trees to effect it. Of course Mother Nature can always throw us a curve ball.

There are pictures of the lake on the Nationals Website at http://www.floridaec12.com/nationals.html . The bank is not too steep and the water gets deep very quickly. You should have no problem putting your boat in without having to step in the water. But water shoes are always a good choice at any lake. I would not step out beyond a few feet of the shore as you will be up to your knees.

As for a B-rig, that is always up for debate. I have found that when the wind is steady above 8-10 kts, it may be time to go to a B. If it just a few puffs then deal with it. If the wind is up and you can't control your boat, it is time to go to your B. Keep an eye on the other skipper too. If Kahle or Thomas go to B-rigs, you should too.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby fvracer1 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:54 am

What kind of wind is typical at that time of year in Orlando....It's blowing 20 outside my window right now in Michigan......

"When the cannon fires, harden up, tack or get out of my way"
fvracer1

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:57 pm

I don't live there, but I can tell you that October and November are very nice times of the year in Florida and the winds are usually blowing like we like em.

There is a very nice breeze blowing here in Jacksonville and it is Chamber weather.

When I first went to meet with Disney last year on Nov 3, which just happens to be the very same week of the NCR this year. The weather was absolutely the best it could be. 80 degrees, crystal blue sky, zero clouds, and a 8-10 kts of steady breeze right down the middle of the lake. I am hoping and praying that it will be the same this Nov 2-5.

This weekend we are planning on 175mph winds in a counter clockwise cyclonic motion moving from the WSW to the ENE. Her name is Wilma.[:(!]

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby fvracer1 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:29 pm

I hope all are safe and Wilma goes away. Hats off to all the gang that's throwing this regatta. The preparation and communication is, by my own accord, the best organized race I will have had the opportunity to have raced in. Kudos to the committee.

Frank Vella, Vice-Commodore: Detroit Model Yacht Club[8D]
fvracer1

Postby dictater » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:48 am

B rigs are for kids!! Flaten out, dump a little, twist off a hair and go[}:)]
dictater

Postby Rick West » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:37 am

Yeah, I will take on your taunt A rig any day with a loose B.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to EC12 Chat