vacuum

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

vacuum

Postby Nautic12 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:46 pm

is it possible to adapt a compressor to work as a vacuum pump,for grp work [?]
Nautic12

Postby Doug Wotring » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:06 pm

yes, a search on any search engine for Vacuum Bagging will give you years of reading
Doug Wotring

Postby Larry Ludwig » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:29 am

You can make a "jet pump" by passing a fluid (air) over an orifice (with a venturi is better) and create a siphon or suction if you prefer, and they can be amazingly powerful. Google search it and you should have more than you can read. Many planes use the same principal for transfer pumps keeping a main hopper full from which the engines draw their fuel.

visit us at www.LudwigRCYachts.com
Larry Ludwig

Postby RMDJBD » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:15 am

WEST EPOXY SYSTEMS SELL A COMPLETE KIT FOR ABOUT $ 175.00 WITH EVERTHING IN IT, OR JUST THE "VENTURI VACCUM GENERATOR" FOR ABOUT $90.00.
THE SYSTEM INCLUDES; 15 SQFT OF BREATHER FABRIC,BAG FILM, RELEASE FABRIC AND 25 FT OF SEALENT TAPE. VACCUM GENERATOR. VACCUM GAUGE,HOSE (10 FT), SPEICAL SUCTION CUPS (3)AND MANUAL ON VACCUM BAGGING. THIS SYSTEM IS CAPABLE TO GENERATE 25 - 27 INCHES OF HG VACCUM.
USING AN AIR COMPRESSOR ON THE INLET SIDE WILL ONLY PRODUCE 10-15 INCHES OF VACCUM AND IS VARY DANGEROUS TO DO, BECAUSE THE VALVE SYSTEM IS DESIGNED TO KEEP AIR PREASURE IN NOT A VACCUM. IF THE REED VALVES CRACK OR BREAK THEY WIL LET HIGH PREASURE IN TO THE ITEM BEING VACCUMED. YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF USING A GOOD SHOP VAC (3-8 INCHES HG VACCUM).
I HAVE EXPERIANCE IN ALL SYSTEMS (EVEN EXPLODING A 5 HP COMPRESSOR), DON'T FORGET YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE SYSTEM RUNNING DURING THE COMPLETE CURRING STAGE OR UNTIL THE EXOTHERM STAGE STARTS TO COOL DOWN. I NOW USE A SYSTEM THAT USES AN A/C VACCUM COMPRESSOR WHICH IS DESIGNED TO HANDEL THE LONG CURRING PROCESS.

Bob Dudinsky
RMDJBD

Postby Nautic12 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:04 am

thanks bob,perhaps i was trying to justify the purchase of a compressor our local store has them on special.i will have to think of another excuse ![^]
Nautic12

Postby ian » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:21 am

Tosh you can use a compressor for a vacum pump just fit your vacbag hose to the inlet of the compressor where the filter is screwed to the head but <b>please fit a inline filter</b> in the hose so as not to get any nastys into the compressor (I have been useing mine as a vacum clamp for my hand router for about 10 years)
ian

Return to EC12 Chat