basswood ?

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

basswood ?

Postby Nautic12 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:49 pm

i note with ref to building the material Basswoood ?mentioned can any one give a discription ?so i can source a local eq
thanks[?]
Nautic12

Postby PaulP » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:22 pm

Tosh,
Basswood is a North American species. The closest thing to it is Linden.

This site gives some info on it: http://www.hardwood.org/species_guide/display_species.asp?species=basswood

It is heavier and stronger than balsa but not as much as Spruce. It is realitively straight grained and pretty close grained. Very easy to carve.

It is readily available at most woodworking and woodcarving shops. You can also buy it readily on-line.

Paul P
PaulP

Postby Nautic12 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:34 am

thanks paul[8D]
Nautic12

Postby boatie » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:57 am

We have a Timber here in New Zealand called Paulownia, you can get it from Scott Panel and Hardware. Its lighter and stronger than Cedar.
Regards Davie Norris

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tosh</i>

i note with ref to building the material Basswoood ?mentioned can any one give a discription ?so i can source a local eq
thanks[?]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
boatie

Return to EC12 Chat