Boat Stand

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Boat Stand

Postby Jim Linville » Tue May 17, 2005 10:05 am

I've just received from the Class Store the full size plans for Larry's Cradle. Will the templates supplied in the plans fit my new '95 Standard hull, or will I need to modify the shape slightly? Am I obsessing? [8)]
--Jim Linville
Jim Linville

Postby bodacious » Tue May 17, 2005 5:59 pm

It should fit as designed! Just "pay attention" to the keel support! DB
bodacious

Postby greerdr » Wed May 25, 2005 10:18 am

Not really obsessing.Doug's point about the keel support is so that the hull is not bearing the weight of the boat but rather the keel-thus preventing the dent that one often sees in the hull from the cradle.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Jim Linville » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:13 pm

The plans for Larry's Cradle show "Optional" rope holes. I assume these are holes for stringing rope handles for carrying the hull like a suitcase. They are not replacements for the safety strap. Right? By the way, Larry's cradle is NOT a trivial project! --Jim Linville, #958
Jim Linville

Postby Jim Linville » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:32 am

I'm building Larry's Cradle, and have reached the point where I have to fill the keel supports with Bondo and position the hull for a snug fit. It's 90 degrees and humid here in the frozen wastelands of Massachusetts, and my tests show that Bondo will "pop" off too fast for me to work it. Do any of you folks who live in a climate where heat and humidity are normal conditions have any hints to help me slow down Bondo's curing process?

(A/C is not an options... damn it[:)])

Jim Linville, #958
Jim Linville

Postby nquinn » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:42 pm

Jim, I built the cradle from the plans and filled the keel groove with the same carpet that I covered the arms with. I have a Hickman, hull 367, so perhaps I am a wee bit wider than your EC.

This worked just fine and there is no appreciable weight on the arms, all seems to be on the keel support.

Nick

Grinder
nquinn

Postby bodacious » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:11 pm

Jim...it's always 90 degrees here with a RH of about 80 percent...LOL.. I didn't have trouble but... I would call a local bodyshop and ask them what they do to retard the "cookoff". I know that you may be over mixing a bit and that will set it off very fast. Also try mixing it on a pallet or piece of old plywood to keep it thin. When the stuff is in a can or pot it goes off faster! I would still ask a pro at a body shop... they know all the tricks!! DougB[;)]
bodacious

Postby PaulP » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:28 pm

Jim
A couple tricks I've learned

1) minimize the amount of catalyst you use.

2) smaller sections(thickness) take longer to set - apply thinner sections

3) use smaller amounts. It takes longer but build it up in sections. The only difference will be in color since different percentages make for a different mixture color. It won't matter since it gets covered anyway.

Paul P
PaulP

Postby Gene Rosson » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:47 am

Bondo is "hot" stuff. The body shop people are in a hurry to get on with the job. Bondo fills that need for rapid polymerization.

I heartily reccommend an epoxy marketed by Fiberglass Coatings, St. Petersburg, Fl. 800-272-7890. They have a product that I've used for years in a manufacturing process. It is called Superbond. You can get it in standard 50 to 60 minute pot life or medium 20 to 30 minute pot life. Superbond is ideal for Glueing EC12 parts. It is sufficiently viscous to stay where you put it. It will make a hell for strong keel cradle. Cost is reasonable, not much more than Bondo, but far more useful. The same firm has everthing you could want in materials, such as 3/4 ounce fabric, laminating resins etc..

I do not intend to be commercial here. No doubt the other suppliers like West or System Three have a product similar to Superbond.

Gene Rosson
Gene Rosson

Postby Jim Linville » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:28 pm

Thanks, I'll look for it. --Jim
Jim Linville

Return to EC12 Chat