software

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

software

Postby Nautic12 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:44 am

on reading the ec12 optimising book i came across ref to software sold with the book? it mentions spread sheets ect & xl tables for working out rightng moment ,ballast design.Is this product still
availible ? and[?] B is it still usable with the latest programs ?
[?][?]
Nautic12

Postby Rick West » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:01 pm

Bob,
You would have to check with the authors. They were not commercially available and are likely to be meaningful only to engineers in such matters. Larry Robinson's brother Lon is an engineer (I do not know the discipline) and prepared the studies. The results of the Lamboley testing is a major study that will lead to understanding the properties of the EC12 hull (Puritan) in the water.

I am not sure I understand your question B. The study was made in the gathering of information toward the production of the 95 Standard Hull the US class uses today. Nothing has been changed since then.

My opinion: Learning the basis of the Lamboley test and the associated studies written in the Optimizing manual gives one the reasoning for the considerations in trim, balance and righting moments against various wind and sea conditions and the tuning of sail plans needed. Having the spreadsheets would have done nothing more for me than confirm Lon and Larry's conclusion and learning nothing more. Now if you want to understand a J class boat or an AC boat in the same manner, it would be a different story.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Nautic12 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:36 pm

thanks Rick,with ref to B i just wonderd if software advances
ie windows95/win2000/win xp would mean even if the software was still availible i might not be able to run it.
Nautic12

Return to EC12 Chat