Boat Launch and recovery from sea wall

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Boat Launch and recovery from sea wall

Postby Jules Fogel » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:01 pm

I have just purchased a new boat and I am new to the hobby. The lake that I will sail on has a sea wall surronding it. The distance from the top of the wall to the water is about 3 feet. Does anyone have an idea as to the best way to lower the boat and retrive the boat from the water.

Thanks
Jules Fogel

Postby Rick West » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:57 pm

Welcome aboard Jules,
This is a tough situation if you are over 30. Innovation is needed. Three feet is a lot of lift for a 25 pound boat when you are on your knees and bent over. You are likely to get some response here for some gadget to do this but my recommendation is to find a way around the wall or another site.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby bodacious » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:55 pm

Jules... Welcome aboard! Something I have seen (and now use) is a sling made from webbing with a loop at each end! You could make an "extension" for it so you can use it to carry the boat to and from the seawall and add the extension to lower the boat. I know it has saved my back more than once! Doug B
bodacious

Postby boatie » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:11 am

Hey Tosh,

You should show Jules the gadget you guys have developed at North Shore for Launching when the water level is low.

Davie Norris [:)][:p][:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bodacious</i>

Jules... Welcome aboard! Something I have seen (and now use) is a sling made from webbing with a loop at each end! You could make an "extension" for it so you can use it to carry the boat to and from the seawall and add the extension to lower the boat. I know it has saved my back more than once! Doug B
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
boatie

Postby Judd Morgan » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:53 am

Jules, I have somewhat the same problem compounded by bad knees that prohibit me form kneeling. My solution is to use a folding luggage carrier. Last year I wrapped the tubing with duct tape but this year for my new boat I will add pipe insulation tubing. The wheels on the cart roll down the sea wall. When retrieving be sure to get the center of gravity correct. I have seen some at our venue use home made PVC carts.
Judd Morgan

Postby Nautic12 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:09 pm

jules email meand will send photo of strap we use
Nautic12

Return to EC12 Chat