Tappered Masts

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Tappered Masts

Postby boatie » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:33 pm

Hi,

Anyone use Tappered masts in the US ? are you using jumpers ?

Davie Norris[:p]
boatie

Postby Frank Angel » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:50 pm

To my knowledge no one is using a tapered mast. They aren't prohibited as long as the material is wood or aluminum. Almost everyone uses jumpers. You might find the photos on this site interesting. http://www.proefrock.net/EC12Web/Bldg_Ideas/BldgIdeas.htm
Regards,
Frank Angel
Frank Angel

Postby boatie » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:01 pm

Hi Frank,

Wondering how it would go by cutting a wedge off the front of the mast and pinching it back together and glueing to form a tapper, if you are already using jumpers they will support the tapper. Do you know if it has been tried before ? I guess if no one is doing it now to must have been.[:0]

Regards Davie Norris[:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nitroboy</i>

To my knowledge no one is using a tapered mast. They aren't prohibited as long as the material is wood or aluminum. Almost everyone uses jumpers. You might find the photos on this site interesting. http://www.proefrock.net/EC12Web/Bldg_Ideas/BldgIdeas.htm
Regards,
Frank Angel
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
boatie

Postby john bottensek » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:48 pm

It seems to me that Kelly Martin had made a few masts that were tappered in the manner that you are describing. However, instead of glue he used an aluminum solder type process. I have never tried to make one myself, but it can be done. As to jumpers, yes.
john bottensek

Return to EC12 Chat