Hull paranoia.....my apologies but.......

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Hull paranoia.....my apologies but.......

Postby Rob Stagis » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:28 pm

Not to beat a dead horse, but at least 5 of the boats racing in my club (Paderewski Model Yacht Club AMYA 101) are old - like mid-80's. They include 2 Dumas, 1 Hickman and the love of my life, my Ozmun. Are there any plans in the works to officially preclude their use in AMYA-sanctioned events? They're all currently registered with AMYA. Thanks in advance, and I hope I don't make anyone throw up their hands in exasperation.....inquiring minds need to know.

Rob
Rob Stagis

Postby Rick West » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:22 pm

Rob,
You came along in the middle of a runaway thread that got off the subject quickly and with some very incorect statements. There is nothing afoot to remove old EC12's from the class and competition nor has there been a suggestion to do so. "Old EC12's" was a fantasy projection brought into the thread that began with the classic Dumas Heritage boat.

While it may appear you are beating a dead horse; the horse was never alive to get beaten but in the thoughts of some. Be sure to clear that up with your friends at Paderewski. Your 967 is thought to be Schell hull. Very few of those were made and Bill Schell is part of the history of this class and so is your boat.

The Dumas story was told last spring when the call went out to get all unregistered Heritage boats into the Registry. It had nothing to do with being old. All boats of any kind, like yours too, that are in the EC12 Registry are accepted by the class and in some cases revered like the Ozmun you mention.

This whole subject, or thought to be subject, is better handled directly with the CS than presented in a forum that was designed as a resource with much better purpose than speculation about the future of the class and its standards. Such leads to confusion and misinformation. I think your posting above is an example of that and thank you for asking for the clarification. It was needed.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Rob Stagis » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:25 am

Tanksalot! My concern came from a guy in the club (with a notably fiery personality) who's building a boat for a local guy. This guy showed up during our most-fun regatta ever. He says,"I've got one of those in my basement!" After being invited to race in our powderpuff derby (never-before-sailing people mated with boat owners for advice) and winning it handily, he started talking. In the middle of the boat build ((virgin Dumas hull, natch) the builder found that he wouldn't be able to register it... *sigh*. He'll still race with us :)
Rob Stagis

Return to EC12 Chat