EC12 Manual vs. Web information

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

EC12 Manual vs. Web information

Postby Steve Hulsey » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:49 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the EC12 class and am in the process of digging through the web sites for information on building the EC12. I have heard all the talk about the EC12 Manual and that I should buy one. Their is SO MUCH information on the web concerning the building of the boat that I was wondering if the web content is more up to date than the book. Hence, do I really need the book, or would the book have more info that isn;t on the web?

Thanks for the help and insite.

Salty Dawg
aka Steve
Steve Hulsey

Postby Rick West » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:16 pm

Steve,
The Building Site and EC12Web is more current than the manuals. The manuals are good references in building as a library of such things. The first manual is building and craftsmanship. The second, Optimizing, is the research and reasoning behind why we want to build the way we do. It is a technical manual with excellent information when studied.

The Electronic Checklist on the Building Site is the learning of those things simplified to products available today.

Welcome to the class.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:53 pm

Fewer drawings on the web...Buy the books,they are invaluable when all is said and done.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Nautic12 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:11 am

wish i had the chance to buy the manuals ,my emails and fax,s
seem to disapear between NZ & the usa.any help in this direction would not be forgotting or go un -rewarded thanks
Nautic12

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:38 pm

Rick,

Do you think we could put together a care package of manuals and optimizing books to send to NZ for them to resale there. Maybe we can get ahold of Ragged Symmetry and get half a dozen of each boxed up.

Your thoughts

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Steve Hulsey » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:47 am

It seems that from what I have read on the web that the first book (The Manual) is good but alot of the information is now on the web. The diagrams seem to be the big advantage for the book. Has anyone else built just from the web?

Thanks
Salty Dawg
Steve Hulsey

Postby kermwood » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:22 am

Steve
l am at this moment building from web site.Having the manuals to compare building methods is a good idea and l am still refering to them,but pound for pound l would go for the web site.(THANKS RICK )
l have downloaded the web site and printed it out and am following it page by page when out in the workshop (garage when the wifes around !).
l still ref to web site and blow up pictures when not sure of something on the dark winters evenings.
l think that you cannot beat chatting to someone face to face perhaps at a local club in your area(my local club sailing EC-12s is over 6000 miles away!)
l Think with the web site and or manuals anyone with a bit of basic knowledge should be able to cope with the building
Take your time read everything twice and then again and if you get stuck ASK there is a neverending supply of info out there just waiting to for someone to ask for it
Good Luck Woody
kermwood

Postby Philip Whitley » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:37 am

Woody, I am inclined to agree with you that the best manual is the skipper who has done it before. How about a register on this site of skippers with their regions and contact details who can assist or mentor. [;)]
Philip Whitley

Postby frank linney » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:25 pm

Hi chaps. Following up on Tosh's query I sent order form and bank draft to Bob Wells Nov3rd enough for two manuals and return 1st class post,followed last week query email.Possibly the pidgeon was shot down. Any information gratefully recieved.
thanks chaps Leadfoot

W.F.Linney
frank linney

Postby PaulP » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:44 am

The EC12 class is in a transition as the manuals are now going to be distributed by the Class Secretary, Rick West. He does have inventory in his hand at this writing, we haven't had a chance to get the website changed.

There might be a couple orders that got mixed up so we are checking into this.

Until the site is published, a quick email to Rick West will solve any new orders.

Paul P
PaulP

Postby Nautic12 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:57 am

many thanks to who-ever sorted out the e12 manuals
2 happy skips from nz are now reading both books.
Nautic12

Return to EC12 Chat